Friday, November 17, 2023

Thanksgiving

Since we are approaching the Thanksgiving season I felt it was appropriate to preach this Sunday on Thanksgiving. Many people move straight from Halloween to Christmas and give little thought to Thanksgiving except for the turkey and watching football games. This mindset comes from an entitlement mentality. Since we are entitled to everything we have we feel no reason to be thankful for anything.

Growing up my parents hammered into my mind that "Society doesn't owe you anything." I must have heard it a hundred times, and I didn't want to hear it even once. Of course society owed me many things since, after all, the world revolved around me. That kind of thinking is bad enough in a child, but it's a horrible way to live as an adult. Yet, many do. Just this week I read about the pain felt by Gen-Z college graduates who struggle with the demands of working a 40-hour week. Several years ago I owned a business and was trying to hire a high school graduate for the summer to help answer the phone and do some filing. She expressed a concern about having to work every day because she really wanted to spend time at the pool with her friends. I told her to go swimming and I'd hire someone else.

Every single day I spend time giving God thanks for the blessings I enjoy in life. I thank Him for my wife of 56 years, our children and grandchildren. I thank Him for our good health when so many of my high school classmates have passed away or struggle with major health issues. I thank Him that my life has purpose and meaning. I thank Him for the success of our auction business. I thank Him for the church He has recently called me to serve. I thank Him for the financial security we enjoy. No, we're not rich, but it wasn't that long ago we struggled to pay our bills. I thank Him that He allows me to have a clear mind that is able to read and absorb information. I thank Him that there is not a moment in my life where He is not present and watching over me. And, yes, I thank Him for the tough times we've had that drew me closer to Him.

I want to live my life grateful for all that God has done in my life and continues to do. I also want to be grateful for the people God has brought into my life who have encouraged me and blessed me. Zig Ziglar used to say that if you see a turtle on a fencepost you can be sure he didn't get there by himself. Believe me when I say that I could not have accomplished anything worthwhile without the people God brought into my life at the right time. I couldn't begin to list them all.

There's nothing wrong with family dinners this holiday season, and there's nothing wrong with watching the football games. But, I do hope you'll take a few minutes, at least, and think about the things for which you are are thankful. And, if you need help in living a thankful life, I invite you to our worship service at North Madison Baptist Church this Sunday. Our service begins at 10:30, and we will have a place for you. 

No comments: