Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Back in the pulpit

 Last week I announced that I was asked to serve as the Transitional Pastor of North Madison Baptist Church. I just want to remind everyone that my first Sunday in the pulpit will be this Sunday, November, 5. If you do not have a church home and live in the Madison, IN area we would love to have you join us for worship. The service begins at 10:30.

The message for this Sunday is entitled "The Waymaker." So often we find ourselves in a place where we think we are stuck, all alone with no way out. We feel hopeless and fearful. I've been there, and it's not a good feeling. The good news is God can make a way when we can't see a way. I believe you will find this message to be an encouragement.

Some have asked me what it means to be a Transitional Pastor. The church is seeking a pastor, and in Baptist life the person who served the church during their time of seeking new pastoral leadership was usually referred to as an interim pastor. I prefer the term Transitional Pastor. For me, the word interim suggests you are just killing time, holding ground until the church finds a new pastor. During this time many churches seem to go into neutral, merely coasting along until a new pastor arrives. I see no reason, and certainly no biblical reason, this should be the case.

The word transition suggests that things are moving. The church is moving from one stage of its life to the next stage, but in the process it remains actively involved in ministering to one another and to the community. During this transition time it seeks a fresh vision from God and begins to live into that vision. This is my third church to serve as the Transitional Pastor since my "retirement." I admit that I am excited to begin.

Someone asked if I was ever going to actually retire. The way I look at it is that God has blessed me with good health, He called me 44 years ago to serve Him as a minister, and so far, He hasn't told me I'm done. Rather than retire I prefer to re-fire, and I am fired up and ready to begin a new challenge.

Again, if you do not currently have a church home and would like to be part of this challenge, I encourage you to join us this Sunday at 10:30.

No comments: