Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Pointing the way to Christ

Every year our community hosts a two-day blues festival that brings in both area talent and some national names as well. I've attended many of these events as I enjoy good blues music. I've had the privilege of hearing some of the most respected blues performers over the years at this event. One of my favorites was Guy Davis who was here several years ago. After his performance I purchased the CD he was promoting at the time. One of my favorites on the CD was Can Anyone Tell Me Where the Road Is? I don't know if the song is his personal story, but he sings it in the first-person.

The song tells a number of mistakes he has made in his life, all of which has had a negative impact on his life. The chorus keeps asking the question, "Can anyone tell me where the road is?" He is wanting to a better place in his life, but he's uncertain how to get there.

This song powerfully touches me in a couple of ways. One, it describes my life and the lives of many people I know. I was raised in church and accepted Christ at an early age, but when I entered my teen years I strayed far from the path I had once known. It wasn't until my late-twenties that a situation in my life caused me to want to find my way back home. The positive thing in my life was that I knew where the road was that would lead me back to the place I wanted to be. Because of my childhood in the church I knew that it was only through God I could return to a healthier place. At that point, God brought people into my life to help me find that path.

Today, many in two generations have not been privileged to have been raised in the church. They've not been exposed to biblical teaching nor have they been exposed to the person of Jesus Christ. When they realize that the path they are on is not taking them to a place they want to be, they do not know where to turn. Some will pursue false religions. Others will seek spiritual experiences in New Age thinking, witchcraft, or other religious pursuits that eventually lead to dead ends. For some, these dead ends will convince them that there is no path that will take them where they want to be.

It is here that the song touches me so powerfully. I want to be part of a church that can show them that the path to Jesus Christ is the one that will lead them to the life they are seeking. I want to see the church to recognize that it is meant to be a lighthouse to point struggling people to Christ, a hospital for sinners who can receive healing for their sins through Christ. I hurt for hurting people because I know what it means to hurt. I also know what it means when others care about hurting people and are willing to help them find the healing they need. More than anything else, I want to be part of a church like that. 

No comments: