Friday, April 3, 2020

What will it take?

This past week two pastors, that I know of, were arrested for holding worship services despite the ban in their states against gatherings that contained over 50 people. One pastor was in Florida; the other in Louisiana, both states hard hit with the coronavirus. Of course, they are claiming religious discrimination. The Louisiana pastor claimed that his church was being persecuted for its faith. While many churches have begun live streaming their services and finding other ways to lead services and minister to their members and community others have determined to remain open.

I must admit that when I first heard governors asking churches, among many other gatherings, to close I was resistant. My daughter called saying their church had decided to follow the recommendations to close, and I told her that if I was still pastoring I would not close our services. However, when we began hearing how rapidly the disease was spreading and the numbers of deaths I soon changed my mind.

For the past three weeks we have not left our house except for absolutely necessary trips to the supermarket, to the bank, or, very seldom, to patronage one of our restaurants. Other than the supermarket, we seldom leave our vehicle. When we are in a public place we maintain at least a six foot separation from everyone else. I am the only one who actually goes into the supermarket, and I wear gloves the entire time I'm in the store. Staying at home and social distancing when we are outside have both proven to slow the spread of the disease. Those who refuse to follow the instructions are putting people at risk. In the case of the two churches mentioned above, they are putting their parishioners at risk and everyone with whom they come in contact. They are also extending the time those of us who are trying to follow the rules will have to remain in place as well.

I've had auctions scheduled which I've canceled until this is over. There are a number of things I would like to do, especially now that the weather has improved, but I won't because I want to stay safe and keep my loved ones safe as well. The Golden Rule tells us to treat others as we would like to be treated. I wonder how these two pastors relate what they are doing with that mandate.

The projected numbers of deaths from coronavirus is staggering. Maybe by being willing to use the common sense God has given us, listening to those who are on the front lines fighting this battle, and following their instructions that number can be dramatically reduced. Is that not worth a little inconvenience?

This is not a matter of religious persecution; it is a matter of public health. It is also a matter of loving other people enough to do everything in our power to protect them from this horrible disease.

No one is preventing a church from broadcasting their services, and such services have been seen by millions of people over the past few weeks. I've watched services from several churches and have been encouraged and blessed by them.

As I write this, over 5,000 people have already died in the United States. The projected number of deaths is expected to be much higher. What will it take before we practice the habits that have been proven to slow the spread of the disease and prevent needless deaths from occurring? If we claim to be pro-life, then let's be pro-life for all people.