Monday, April 6, 2020

Use this time wisely

It's been a long time since the nation, and the world, has slowed down like it is right now. Most of us have been told to stay in place, and with few places to go to, there's not much reason to go out anyway. My wife and I are in the "high risk" category, so we've been staying at home with the rare trip to the supermarket or to grab something to eat. We are seldom eating out much right now, but I will occasionally go out primarily to help some of the local businesses have some money coming in.

A lot of people are growing frustrated with the limitations that have been placed on us. Rather than getting upset over something we have no control over, it would be far better to determine how to best use this time that is given to us. The Bible tells us in Ephesians 5 to "redeem the time." That means that we are to use our time wisely.

Rather than spending your days laying on the couch binge watching Netflex or Hulu, spend this time reading good books, reading the Bible, praying, and listening to what God might be saying to you. It's possible He's been trying to get your attention for some time, but you've been too busy to listen. Well, you're not too busy now, so spend some time with Him. You can also listen to good podcasts and live feeds that encourage and bless you. They were be more profitable that listening to 24-hour news channels that have nothing positive to tell us.

I began the year reading through the New Testament for my morning devotional. During this downtime in everyone's life I finished that and started studying the book of Ephesians for my devotional time. In addition, I've read 24 other books this year. My wife is ready to buy stock in Amazon or cut off my membership! I'm trying to find a publisher for a book I've completed, and I'm working on another book. With the nicer weather my wife and I spend some time on the back deck enjoying the sunshine and one another. If it gets too hot, or we've been in the sun long enough, we move to the front, shaded porch. Most days I call or text 2-3 people to ask if they are doing OK and if they need anything. We go for walks.

Because the libraries are closed in our area I downloaded Libby, an app that lets people check books out of their library. The app is free and works great. You can check out up to ten books at a time for 14 days, and you're able to renew them. They also carry audiobooks which some people prefer. This app has helped me not have to pay for all the books I've read this year!

Have you been wanting to research some topic of interest? This is a great time to go deeper into some subject you find interesting. Several of the books I've read this year were purchased for research for the one I'm writing.  Of course, the Internet can provide a lot of useful information you can use in your research, and this downtime gives you extra time to look for that information.

Most of us assume that church (and life) will look different after this is over. Now is the time to reflect on what that might look like. I know of at least one live streaming event that will address this coming up soon. Earlier this week I had a conversation with a pastor who is asking what the future holds for the church as we move past this crisis. He and his staff are spending some time trying to figure out what that future might be and how they can prepare for it.

This can also be a great time to declutter your office, closets, garages and basements. These are things we usually say we want to do when we get to them. I don't know of another time when you can better get to them.

When this is over, and it will be, you don't want your greatest accomplishment for this time to be that you saw every episode of The Office. Use this time wisely. Spend time with God and with your family. Invest in yourself and your interests. Allow yourself to relax and refresh.

No comments: