Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Nerd Alert

Maybe it's the stay-at-home order related to the coronavirus that is getting to me. Maybe it's all the time I have to read and putter around the house. Maybe it's something else entirely, but I am turning into a major nerd.

I've always enjoyed the Star Wars movies. Every time a new one comes out I'm ready to head to the theater to see it, and we don't go to the movies. Of course, I've got all of them on DVD. In fact, I bought the last one on the day it came out recently. There is no telling how many times I've seen each one of them, especially since they are shown rather frequently on TV now.

A few weeks ago I told my wife I thought I would start reading some of the Star Wars books. I recently downloaded an app that lets me check out books from our library, and I noticed that there are a lot of the Star Wars books available through the app. (Unfortunately, there are very few religious and theological books.) I thought I would read them in order until I learned there are around 381 books currently available, not counting comic books. Now, some of them are young adult books and short story collections, but still.....  That's a lot of books. I don't think I'll read them all.

But, I did download one of the earlier books that took place about 25,792 years before episode 4 of the film series. That book was Into the Void: Star Wars Legends (Dawn of the Jedi). I really got into it and finished it in two days. So, I downloaded another one Star Wars: The Old Republic - Revan, which occurred about 3,900 years before episode 4. I actually read it the same day I got it. I enjoyed it that much. Since then I've read eight of them total.

The funny thing is that I hardly read fiction books, but I've really enjoyed these. I guess I've earned my nerd badge, but I don't care. I'll probably get another one tomorrow, but I don't plan on reading it that quickly. It's time to get back to doing research for the book I'm writing, and it has nothing to do with Jedi or the Force. Back to work on my book, but I will continue reading some more Star Wars. May the force be with you. 

No comments: