Wednesday, June 12, 2019

The joy of bivocational ministry

When I wrote my first book I wanted to title it The Joy of Bivocational Ministry. That was when I learned that the publishers give the title they want to your work. I plead my case with my editor, but as a first time writer I had little pull. However, he did agree to let my title be the sub-title of the book.

The reason I wanted that as the title was because many people have misconceptions about bivocational ministry. In fact, a fully-funded pastor friend of mine told me he could not see how there could possibly be any joy in doing bivocational ministry. I wanted that title not only to counter some of the misconceptions but also to encourage those in bivocational ministry. In fact, that was one of my primary purposes for writing the book.

Many in bivocational ministry do not feel appreciated by their fully-funded colleagues, their denominational leaders and sometimes even by people within their congregations. They feel called to this ministry, and they enjoy serving in this capacity, but they often wish their services were more appreciated. During my 20 years as a bivocational minister I felt all these things at times, but most of the time I felt excited and fulfilled about doing what God had called me to do. Yes, I felt joy in serving as a bivocational minister.

Some Sunday mornings as I would drive out to the church I would look around at the houses and farms I passed and thank God for giving me that part of the world in which to minister. I would think of the impact that small, rural church had for over a century on the lives of the people lived in that part of our county and thank God for allowing me to have a part of that legacy now.

There was a joy in knowing that I could serve that small church without worrying about financial issues raising my family. The average pastoral tenure of that church prior to my going there was 12 months. Most of the pastors were students at a seminary about an hour away, and when they graduated they left for churches that could provide for their families. I get that, but I had a good job that paid well before accepting the call to pastor that church. I didn't need to leave for financial reasons which allowed me to stay there as long as I did.

Because I was with that church as long as I was, it allowed me to get to know the people and develop relations with them. I've been away from that church since 2001, but some of my best friends today were members of that church back then. There is a joy in those types of relationships.

Finally, there was a joy in knowing I was doing what God had called me to do. I have no doubt He called me to bivocational ministry and to that church. Even when things weren't going as well as I would have liked, I had a joy knowing I was being obedient to God.

If you are in bivocational ministry, I hope you find joy in what you are doing. You are my hero. May God bless you and your family.

No comments: