Thursday, June 20, 2019

Leaders don't like change either

In this space I write a lot about change and how it's necessary if the church is to remain relevant in its attempts to impact the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Most of us know from first-hand experience that many of our church members are not too fond of change. The reality is that those of us in leadership aren't that crazy about it much of the time either. I'm experiencing that first-hand right now.

As many of you have read, my computer crashed several days ago wiping out all my files. I thought I was backing up my files, but when I plugged my thumb drive into my laptop I found that it was corrupted. Virtually everything was gone. I ordered a new computer, and it finally arrived this past Monday. My old computer was an 8.1; the new one is Windows 10 which means that I have to learn a new operating system before I can even begin to rebuild my files. I'm spending more time on the "Helps" buttons than I am actually doing work.

I liked Windows 8.1. It was a solid system that I knew fairly well. I could maneuver around in it with few problems. Everything was just where I wanted it. It was comfortable.

There is nothing comfortable about this new computer. I don't like the way I have to move around to get to where I want to go. Why did Microsoft have to replace the good 8.1 system when I was so comfortable with it?

Does any of this sound familiar? I bet you heard the same kinds of arguments in your church the last time someone suggested doing something a little different. Even those of us in leadership enjoy the comfort of the known over the uncertainties that come with change. Under our old ways of doing things everyone knows their role in the church. The order of worship, the music we sing, the ways our churches are structured, and the types of messages we are used to hearing all contribute to a feeling of comfort.

But, what if the old ways of doing things aren't working in the church? What if the worship service needs some changes that would help new people connect to God in powerful ways? What if we need to change the times of our services to better reach people? What if organ music isn't the music most people today listen to? I could go on, but I would just make more people mad!

The fact is, everything our churches now do that allows each of us to feel comfortable was once a new idea that replaced something that wasn't working in our churches. I'm sure when those new ideas were suggested people were convinced it would spell the end of their church, but it didn't.

I will get used to Windows 10 just like I adjusted to 8.1, 7, XP, and all the others. I'm so old my first computer class taught us how to use MS-DOS so I've made a lot of adjustments over the years as the computer systems have changed. Within a few weeks I'll be moving around on this new computer just like I did on the old one, and from what I've heard about 10 I'll enjoy using it just fine.

As leaders in our churches we need to embrace change before we can ask those we serve to. We cannot afford to prefer comfort over being able to impact our communities nor can we prefer comfort over dealing with others who will oppose necessary changes.

No comments: