Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Are you looking for training for your bivocational ministers?

I had a conversation Monday with a denominational leader who had just finished reading one of my books on bivocational ministry. He wanted to know if I could lead a seminar for the bivocational ministers in his denomination? We talked about the ones I've led for numerous pastor groups in the past, and he requested more information on those seminars. As I was sending him that information it dawned on me that I have not said anything publicly about these in some time.

The one for which I receive the most requests is "The Healthy Small Church" which is based on my book by the same title. This seminar has been done for eight different denominations and several state conventions. After discussing some of the myths people believe about smaller churches we look at some of the benefits a small church offers. We then examine some of the potential problems that can exist in smaller churches and how to address them. The seminar ends by examining some initial steps a church can take to become healthier.

The second most requested seminar is "Bivocational Ministry for the 21st Century." Material for this one comes out of the several books I've written specifically on bivocational ministry and my own experiences as a bivocational pastor for 20 years. We look at the growing numbers of bivocational ministers across denominations and why that number is likely to continue to grow. We study some of the advantages and disadvantages of bivocational ministry and some of the challenges faced by all ministers today. I talk about how one can prepare for bivocational ministry. One of the most important aspects of this seminar is the time we look at how important it is that bivocational ministers maintain balance in their lives. I conclude this seminar by affirming the call to bivocational ministry in a person's life.

Another seminar that I am sometimes asked to present is "Transforming the Small Church from Maintenance-Minded to Missional." In this seminar we compare maintenance-minded churches to missional churches and how churches can move to a more missional perspective. We look at the life-cycle of churches and the eventual result of remaining maintenance-minded. A key component of this seminar examines how to introduce change to a church, and especially how to deal with the controllers that are in many churches regularly opposing change. We spend time looking at the importance of a church having a God-given vision and ways to begin to discern that vision if the church does not have one.

Other seminars I've led are "The Healthy Pastor" and "Finding Balance in Ministry."

These seminars have been presented to pastor groups from eight different denominations, several state conventions and even individual churches. I've led them for groups as small as 12 people and to groups that numbered in the hundreds. Many times during the breaks I've had pastors come to me and ask how I knew their churches so well. Bivocational ministers are my heroes, and I love working with them and adding value to their lives and ministries.

Each of these seminars are developed for a six hour presentation. I have also reduced them to a half-day presentation and even a one-hour workshop. Of course, the smaller time frames means we present less material. For that reason I prefer the all-day seminar, but these other options are available to fit your needs.

If you believe that one of these would benefit the bivocational ministers and small church leaders in your organizations, please contact me for more information. I would love to get your meeting on my calendar.

No comments: