Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Rolling with the punches

This past weekend we traveled to Austin, TX to spend time with our son and his family. We had a great time even though it was cold. Our grandson played three baseball games, and we were never warm at any of them. However, the real problems began when we returned home.

We arrived at the airport early and found that our plane was scheduled to leave on time. Twenty minutes later the flight was canceled. We were caught up in the computer glitch that canceled a bunch of flights and caused many others to be delayed. Fortunately, a different flight was found for us, but it wouldn't leave until two hours after our original flight. That flight was only twenty-some minutes in the air which was good because 19 of those minutes were in the most turbulence I've ever experienced in a flight. (And I don't enjoy flying anyway!)

After landing we found that our next flight had been delayed two more hours. Three gate changes later we finally boarded and enjoyed a very smooth flight home.

I couldn't help but think about how the trip home was so much like ministry. Our tickets had been reserved for weeks. Everything about the trip had been planned to the best of our ability. However, there were so many things beyond our control. Computer problems, bad weather, canceled and delayed flights all came together to mock our carefully made plans. Yes, it was frustrating, but that's what happens in life...and often in ministry.

During my ministry I have encountered a lot of angry pastors, especially when I served in a judicatory role. Their ministries had not turned out like they thought it would when they began. Their churches often did not respond to their leadership the way they assumed. Their churches didn't grow like the ones they heard about in the church growth conferences they attended. People in their congregation sometimes didn't even act like Christians. They acted more like...people. Yes, it can get frustrating. I've been there.

Then I think about Jesus and His ministry here on earth. He handpicked his disciples, and look how much trouble He had with them. They were often carnal. They argued over who would be the greatest. They didn't seem to get even His most basic teachings. On the night He needed them the most they ran away except for one who later denied even knowing Him.

I had to learn pretty early in my ministry to roll with the punches. Sometimes things don't happen the way you think they should. Your plans get derailed. Sometimes your character gets questioned. It's easy to get angry if you allow yourself. Some I've known have given up and either left the calling God placed on their lives or they gave up and are just waiting for retirement. Even in my most frustrating moments neither was an option for me.

Roll with the punches. If you can't get what you want, take what you can and figure out how you might get the rest later. My flight was canceled. I didn't want to wait two hours for another flight, but it was either than or wait until the next day for a flight. We may have gotten home four hours later than the original plan, but we got home and I slept in my bed that night.

I want to see the church do X, but right now they are only willing to do Y. I'll settle for Y and suggest X later. I'm just glad they didn't reject both X and Y and settle for the status quo. When God called you into the ministry He never suggested it would be easy. Learn to relax and roll with the punches. It will make ministry much easier and allow you to accomplish more over time than if you give up.

No comments: