Friday, April 5, 2019

Ministry education that matters

A few weeks ago a well-known, retired church consultant, author, and coach made some comments on social media about concerns he had that seminary education no longer prepared one for the ministry. As I remember his comments, he felt that the typical seminary education was insufficient preparation for ministry in the real world. As you might expect, his comments were met with numerous responses. Some agreed with him while others strongly disagreed.

Regular readers of this blog will know that I have my own concerns about seminary education. I've made no secret of my belief that the typical MDiv degree is probably more suited for someone considering pursuing a PhD while an MA in some area of ministry might be more suited for one going into pastoral ministry. I should note that I began my pastoral ministry in 1981 and became a judicatory minister in 2001 but did not enroll in seminary until 2003. At that time I earned a MAR with a concentration in leadership. After earning that degree I enrolled in a DMin program completing it in 2010.

No, I can't parse a Greek text,, but the funny thing is in 38 years of ministry no one has ever asked me to. As a pastor I was often called upon to help someone with a marriage issue or a problem child. I was asked how to become a Christian and why life seemed so unfair at times. None of those questions depended upon me having three semesters of Biblical languages.

Some are probably getting real antsy now and wonder how anyone can preach Biblical sermons without that knowledge. If you saw my library you might understand how. I've spent a lot of money on good commentaries and biblical helps. Again, three semesters of Biblical languages does not make one a scholar. I would much rather invest in good material from individuals who have spent a lifetime studying Greek and Hebrew than to trust three semesters of such study.

Do I think it's a bad thing for a seminary student to pursue an MDiv? No, in some cases it makes a lot of sense. But, for some it doesn't. It depends on what one believes God's call on his or her life is and what it will take to fulfill that call. What I am opposed to is that everyone assumes that the MDiv is the ONLY degree that is suitable for ministry and ordination.

I am in favor of everyone in ministry getting all the education they need, but just make sure that what you are getting will prepare you for ministry in the 21st century.

No comments: