Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Contrasting worship

 Back in the mid-1980s I went to Haiti for a mission work trip with a group from our Region. The first several days we worked to rebuild a youth center that had been burned. For a couple of days we toured some of the mission efforts our denomination supported: a hospital, a seminary, an agricultural center and others. Each of them had an impact on me and others in our group. But, for me, the greatest impact came from two worship services I attended.

The first was a 7:00 AM service held in Creole in one of the churches we sponsor. When we arrived, the building was already full. They were in the process of building on to the back of the building and only had the rafters and roof over that area. People were sitting in the rafters! People were seated on the platform around the pulpit, not in chairs but on the floor. People were moved from the front pew so their mission guests would have a place to sit. The singing was lively. When the offering was received, those who were tithing were asked to come forward and place their tithes in the baskets. (Try that in your church!) When they finished, the ushers were around to receive the financial gifts from others. The service last about 1 1/2 hours. As we were leaving, people for the 10:00 service were already arriving, many carrying chairs from home to ensure they would have a seat.

The second service I attended was that evening at the missionary compound. It was done in English and was similar in many ways to what I was used to. What struck me was the prayer right before the message. The person prayed for the church in America. He prayed that the church's eyes would be opened, that people would be moved from their apathy, that the churches would have a burden for those who were lost and hurting. As he prayed, I was deeply ashamed. These men and women had sacrificed so much to fulfill the work to which God has called them. They were doing incredible things with very limited resources while our churches were doing very little with abundant resources. 

It is my understanding that due to the current political climate in Haiti our missionaries have relocated to the Dominican Republic and working with Haitian refugees who have fled there to escape the turmoil in their country. They continue to work long, difficult hours with still limited resources. I ask you to pray for them, and for all missionaries around the world.

I also want to ask you to consider what your church is doing to address the spiritual emptiness felt in many lives in your community. If your congregation committed to seeking and saving those who are lost? Is it externally focused or internally focused? Do you do ministry from a mindset of abundance or from a scarcity mindset? I have worked with hundreds of churches over the years, and I've heard all the excuses why they can't do more. Reflecting back this evening on my time in Haiti I'm reminded once again that they are just that, excuses. Unfortunately, I have to confess that I've made the same excuses in the past.

Scripture tells us that God gives seed to the sower. He does not give seed to the hoarder. If we are on mission with Him, He will give us all we need to accomplish the work we've been given to do. When we are on mission with Him, then we will be free to worship in spirit and in truth as I experienced in Haiti.

No comments: