Monday, February 24, 2020

Blinded by the truth

In his book, The Son Rises, William Lane Craig writes of a "man who stood up in Hyde Park Corner in London and said, 'People tell me that God exists; but I can't see him! People tell me there is life after death; but I can't see it! People tell me there is a heaven and hell; but I can't see them!' After he had finished, another man struggled onto the soap box. He began, 'People tell me that there is green grass around us; but I can't see it. People tell me there are trees nearby; but I can't see them. People tell me there is a blue sky above; but I can't see it. You see,...I'm blind.'"

Just because we can't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I can't see air, but I know it exists because I can breathe. I can't see love, but I know that it exists because my wife, children and grandchildren prove it every day. So does God, on an even greater scale. There are proofs that many things exist that we cannot see.

When the non-theist says he or she cannot believe in God because they've never seen Him don't you believe them. They believe in many things they've never seen. They are just trying to make excuses. Some today say they can't believe in God because He just hasn't given them enough evidence. Don't believe that either. All they have to do is examine the amazing universe in which they live. If they would rather believe that it happened by accident than it came into existence through the hands of a Creator, well...that's their choice although it takes a lot more faith to believe that than it does to believe in God. By the way, if they believe that then that's evidence that they can believe in something they've not see because none of us were around when this universe came into being!

If the fine-tuning of the universe isn't enough proof in the existence of God all they have to do is to look at how amazing the human body is designed. Can anyone truly believe that something crawled out of a mud hole in the past and evolved into something as intricate as our bodies and minds? Again, it takes much more faith to believe that than it does to believe in God.

The fact is, the non-theist chooses to not believe in God for a couple of significant reasons. One, if he or she believed in God it would mean they are no longer gods themselves. People like to believe that they are the masters of their own lives, captains of their own souls. They have to give up their delusion that they are gods if they believed that God truly did exist, and many of them are not willing to do that.

The second reason is that if God exists then so does absolute morality, and many people today want to live by their own sense of right and wrong. Even the atheistic philosopher Nietzsche recognized that without God there was no moral code that man had to live by. As long as people are their own gods they are free to create any moral code that suits their preferences. In today's pluralistic world no one has the right to tell anyone their moral code is inferior to anyone else's, and that is the way people want it. So, to avoid having to address a moral code given to mankind by God, it's easier for them to refuse to believe in God. In so doing, they turn a blind eye to the chaos and pain the absence of a moral code has brought to our postmodern society.

The evidences for the existence of God are there for any willing to see them, but sinful mankind would prefer to turn a blind eye to the truth that is all around them.

No comments: