Monday, February 11, 2019

Great way to look at bivocational ministry

Several years ago I led some workshops for an annual denominational gathering. Also leading a workshop was Nelson Searcy, pastor of The Journey Church in New York. Both of us had books released in the months prior to the conference, and we were leading workshops built around those books. My workshop was held in the morning, and Nelson's was held later. I attended his workshop and was very impressed by the material he presented. Since then he has released a number of books, most of which I own.

This year his newest book The New You: A Guide to Better Physical, Mental, Emotional, and Spiritual Wellness was released. I am finding it a very helpful book for anyone and especially for those of us in ministry. Our personal well-being will directly impact our effectiveness in life and ministry. Many ministers I know are much better at caring for others than they are in practicing good self-care. I am one of those ministers. In this book he and Jennifer Dykes Henson offers very practical steps to take to become healthier in each of the areas listed in the subtitle.

In my reading this morning I came across a statement in the book that I thought was especially relevant for those of us in bivocational positions. He referred to a friend who runs the New York City Marathon each year. His friend has commented that life is a marathon, a statement with which Nelson disagreed. He wrote, "Life is not a marathon, and it shouldn't be looked at as one. Life is better viewed as a series of short sprints with periods of rest in between."

What a great way of thinking for bivocational leaders! I've written elsewhere about the danger of allowing our lives to get out of balance. With all the various demands on our time, this is easy to do. We can very quickly fall into the trap of believing that we have to respond to every request, every demand, and allow ourselves to get overloaded, overworked, and overscheduled. No one can keep up that kind of life style for very long. Trying to do so can lead to various health issues, both physical and emotional. I've been very open about my battle with depression during the mid-1980s, and much of that was directly due to trying to live life as a marathon.

We should not forget that God created the universe in six days and then rested for a day. You are not a slacker for taking time away from your responsibilities. Each of us needs time for refreshment and renewal if we want to live peak lives. But, I can guarantee that if you do not intentionally schedule such times they will not happen. Somebody, somewhere will need you to do something. I got to the point where I wrote on my calendar date nights for my wife and me. If somebody asked me to do something at that time I just told them I already had an appointment. It was NEVER a problem.

I have also appreciated the chapters on diet and exercise. They provided me with information I did not know about eating healthier (which I needed to know!), and I have already began implementing these changes into my life. I am currently about half done reading the book. I normally do not recommend books until I've finished them, but I want to encourage you to read this one. The material you'll find asks you to take small steps towards becoming healthier in every aspect of your life. Any of us can take small steps, and most of us need to.

No comments: