Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Older pastors

As a younger pastor my judicatory leader told me that I should be where I wanted to serve out my active ministry by the age of 55. He assured me that once you were older than that many churches would not consider you for their open pastoral positions. Later, when I served as a judicatory minister I found how right he was.

I would meet with pastor search committees and repeatedly hear they wanted a young pastor who could bring new ideas for ministry. Never mind the fact that many of these churches never heard a new idea they liked, this was the mantra I heard over and over again. A common joke is that churches are looking for a 35-year-old pastor with 20 years experience, but the joke isn't too far off in some cases.

There is a misconception that every young pastor has new ideas for ministry. While some do, many younger pastors are still trying to get over their seminary education. Depending on where they attended seminary this might take ten years or longer! It's often several years before some ministers set aside the ministry theories they learned in school and settle in for the real task of leading a church.

Some of the sharpest, forward-thinking ministers I've known have been much older than what many churches are looking for in a pastor. These individuals have been through the trenches, they have learned much, and have the scars to prove it. Now, when they can really provide the help many churches need, they are considered too old. They are relegated to the retirement farm. The only time they hear from anyone is when they get a letter inviting them to the "Retired Pastor's Dinner" the denomination holds each year.

I've written much in this blog about the challenges smaller churches have in finding pastors. One way to overcome some of this challenge is to look at some of those older pastors who still have much to offer. Don't assume that because they have retired that they are not interested in serving a church. Perhaps they have retired because no church has expressed an interest in them.

I should also note that it's not only the smallest churches that could benefit from calling an older pastor. I know some older pastors who could serve churches of 150-200 people and do them a good job.

One last benefit of calling an older pastor. You don't have to worry about them looking to climb the next rung up the "ministerial ladder of success." They are not going to be looking to move to a bigger church in 2-3 years.

If you are having problems finding a pastor I suggest you look at any age limitations you might have. Calling an older minister might be the best thing you could do.

No comments: