Monday, August 12, 2024

When ego gets in the way of ministry

Several years ago I submitted my name for a ministry position that had become available. Prior to doing so I spoke with a couple of people familiar with the position to ask if this was something I could do and if it was wise for me to consider it. Both gave me a green light, so I sent in my resume. I never got an interview. Later, I spoke with someone involved in the search process and asked why I was not at least interviewed for the position. Those are the only three people who even know I was interested, and I explained to each of them that I had absolutely no ego involved in my application. 

Ego is something that can do great damage to a minister. We have seen ego destroy CEOs of great organizations. One book in my library addressed the downfall of some CEOs of major companies, and in most of those cases the person's ego was at least partly responsible. Ego has also destroyed the ministries of more than one pastor, especially those who were serving in megachurches, although small church pastors are not exempt. Their ego convinces them they are entitled to things or take actions that eventually lead to their downfall.

Those with ego problems are people who believe their press clippings. They listen to others tell them how special they are and indispensable to the company or the church. I'm often reminded that the cemeteries are filled with indispensable people. When ego becomes a problem for a leader he or she needs someone to burst their bubble. I heard about a pastor who was feeling really good about a sermon he had just delivered. On the way home he asked his wife, "How many really great preachers do you think there are?" She responded, "Probably one less than you're thinking." 

Ego becomes a problem when it gets in the way of ministry, and this is not limited to just pastors. People who have held roles in a church for some time may be convinced that no one can do it better than they can. Sometimes, that role becomes unnecessary, but the person fights to keep it because their value as a person is wrapped up in that role. Their ego causes them to fight any change that would eliminate their role or the ministry in which it exists.

Don't let ego damage your ministry. If you are the pastor of a church, unless you are the founding pastor, that church had many pastors before you and, if the Lord tarries, will have many more after you. Don't think more highly of yourself than you should. You are just the person God has called to serve that church at this time. Take pleasure in that fact, but do not allow ego to creep in and tell you that you are more than you are. God should get all glory and honor for anything accomplished during your time there. If you will give Him that, you will not have a problem with ego.

No comments: