Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Top ten books of 2023 1-5

Yesterday I began listing my top favorite reads for 2023. All the books I listed yesterday were books I have previously read that remain in my library. Today's list includes some of the books I read in 2023 as I began a serious study of the attributes of God. If your congregation is like many, a lot of the folks sitting in the pews do not truly understand the attributes of God. Even more, they do not understand how those attributes can affect them. I know that because, while I have mentioned some of His attributes from time to time in sermons, I've never done a series of messages on those attributes and why it's important to understand them. But, before I could do such a series I needed to study those attributes in more depth myself, and that is the reason why I've began this study. 

5.    Any study of the attributes of God would have to include the book Knowing God by J. I. Packer. This book is essential reading for someone to better understand the nature of God and His attributes. The fact that over one million copies of this book have been sold testifies to its importance for the serious student. 

4.    God the Father Almighty by Millard Erickson is another book that has been very helpful in my study. The author begins the book by explaining why it's important to study the nature and attributes of God. He then addresses some of the criticisms others make about the traditional view of God, and then he begins to discuss some of His attributes. I found the book very enlightening and well-written. 

3.    I have a great affection for Bob Russell, the former pastor of Southeast Christian Church, a megachurch in Louisville, Kentucky. This past year I re-read his book When God Builds a Church which tells the story of Southeast Christian Church. Russell comes across as one of the most humble people I've met. During his ministry there I had several opportunities to join hundreds of local pastors for luncheons the church held to share ministry ideas. In this book Russell shares 10 principles for growing a church. While most of us will never pastor a megachurch, the principles apply to any size church. I truly believe this book should be in every pastor's library.

2.    Divine Attributes by John Peckham was one of the more difficult reads with hundreds of footnotes and a little more academic language than most books I read. However, I ranked it #2 in my list because of its depth in discussing God's attributes. Peckham brings both philosophical and theological questions into the discussion which I found helpful. My only negative was that I wish he had addressed more of God's attributes than he did.

1.    Drum roll please. My number one book for 2023 is None Greater by Matthew Barrett. I love the subtitle, The Undomesticated Attributes of God!  As it says on the back cover, "For too long, Christians have domesticated God, bringing him down to our level as if he is a God who can be tamed." The author points out that God is worthy of worship because He is high and lifted up, His attributes far above mankind. I cannot recommend this book enough for anyone serious about studying the nature and attributes of God.

Here's my top ten for another year. To give you an idea of what I'm reading as I begin 2024 I am working on A Church for the 21st Century by Leith Anderson, Ignite by Nelson Searcy and Human Freedom, Divine Knowledge, and Mere Molinism by Timothy Stratton. All three are books I've read previously, but I find they are applicable to the church I currently serve, and it's helpful to have a refresher.

I hope you have a reading plan for the new year that will allow you to provide leadership to your church, your family and your community. An investment in books is an investment in yourself. The time spent reading is also an investment in your future success.

No comments: