Thursday, January 25, 2024

Math and God

 In several posts I've commented on how observing the space station as it flies over our house reminds me of how God has fine-tuned this universe in which we live. Like the sun setting over the ocean, watching the space station always reminds me that God is real and the creator of all we see, Because the universe is fine-tuned as it is, scientists can tell us exactly when the station will appear anywhere in the world, the direction in which it will travel, the time it will appear and disappear from our sight. A world that simply happened by accident would not be so fine-tuned.

Recently, I was exposed to another evidence of the existence of God I had not considered: mathematics. In a section in Why God Makes Sense in a World that Doesn't the author talks about mathematics. Now, I will admit that I am lousy with math. After taking Algebra I and Geometry I in high school my counselor advised me to not take Algebra II and Geometry II if I hoped to graduate high school! But, I know 2+2=4. But why? Why is 2+2 not 5 or 6 or some other arbitrary number if our universe is simply a random happenstance?

Quoting the atheist Luc Ferry, the author writes, "I can do nothing about it, 2+2=4, and this is not a matter of taste or subjective choice. The necessities of which I speak impose themselves upon me as if they come from elsewhere, and yet, it is inside myself that this transcendence is present, and palpably so."

Moving beyond 2+2=4, I can only imagine the mathematical calculations necessary to know where the space station is at any given moment.  Again quoting the author, "Whatever else we make of numbers, we cannot deny that they are incredibly useful. Mathematical truths apply to the physical universe with amazing consistency, allowing us to make predictions with astonishing accuracy." Some would argue that this is "a happy coincidence," but I believe this is one more evidence of God who not only fine-tuned the universe but gave us the precision of mathematics to help us make sense of this universe.

Not only did He give us these mathematical realities, He also gave (some of) us the ability to identify and use these realities. Many of the advances in society we enjoy today came because of the reliability of mathematical calculations necessary to create everything from space travel to the cell phones we use every day.

Personally, I find a creator God a much better designer of these mathematical truths that blind chance.

No comments: