Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Top 10 books of 2023

Each year at this time I publish a list of my top ten favorite reads for the year. This year I read 75 books, many of them re-reads of books I have in my library that I have previously read. I choose books based on my interests, of course, and to address what is going on in my life. 2023 has been a year of transition for me as I finished one church as a Transitional Pastor and a few months later assumed the same role in another church. I have also embarked on a study of the attributes of God which may or may not become my next book. This has been a fascinating study as I have been studying His attributes at a much deeper level than I have before. In this post I will list books 6-10 and will complete the list tomorrow.

10.    Since doing this I have never had a top 10 list that did not include a book by John Maxwell, and this list is no different. Thinking for a Change is one of my re-reads. In the book Maxwell challenges the reader to begin to think differently, to focus our thinking on the things that matter most and to practice more creative thinking. If we keep thinking the same thoughts we will keep doing the same things and get the same results we've been getting. Maxwell not only provides theory but gives plenty of practical suggestions for how to think for a change. It's a really good book. 

9.    Turnaround Strategies for the Small Church is not only a re-read, but it's a book I read twice this year. The author, Ron Crandall, provides twelve key factors necessary in turning a small church around. My copy has a lot of highlights, and I've taken several pages of notes to help me remember some of the key points of the book. If you are serving in a smaller church that seems to be stuck, I highly recommend this book.

8.    The Post-Quarantine Church is another re-read for me plus another book I read twice this year. Thom Rainer does a great job of pointing out that many church leaders assumed once the Covid pandemic passed that things would return to normal only to find out that didn't happen. The two churches I served this year have not regained the numbers they had pre-Covid. Rainer suggests that the pandemic presents six challenges and opportunities that will determine the future of our churches. This small book is a quick read, but it is one that contains a lot of important information for church leaders.

7.    Another re-read this year was They Like Jesus but Not the Church by Dan Kimball. Many churches struggle to attract young people and see the ones raised in their churches leave once they get old enough to make that decision. We incorrectly assume that these young people are abandoning God, but the author points out that what they are abandoning is what they often find in our churches. He addresses six things that the younger generation consistently points out as the reasons they are leaving churches. Church leaders need to understand the thinking of the younger generations and address their concerns or we will continue to see them ignoring the church as irrelevant to their spiritual growth.

6.    Yes, this book is another re-read. Tomorrow I'll get to some books I added to my library in 2023, but I've ranked PastorPreneur by John Jackson as my sixth favorite read this year. As someone who has spent his ministry serving in bivocational roles I consider myself an entrepreneur. The author believes that the successful pastor in the 21st century will be one who combines ministry with an entrepreneurial mindset. I completely agree. In the book Jackson talks much about vision and how to communicate that vision to the congregation. My copy is heavily highlighted with a lot of notes in the margins. I really like this book. The book I read was published in 2003, and it appears an updated version was released in 2011. The updated version is the book I've given you a link to.

Tomorrow we will highlight my top five books. Remember, leaders are readers so I hope you have a stack of books to start on in 2024. I know I do!

No comments: