Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Change!

 Several years ago when I served as a Resource Minister for our Region I was meeting with a Pastor Search Committee. My first question in the initial meeting was always the same, "What do you want in your new pastor?" I asked the question even though I knew the answer would be one of two responses. They either wanted a pastor who would grow the church or a pastor who would grow their youth group. In the case of this church it was the first response. They wanted a pastor who would grow their church. I had never said this before, but this night I was a little bolder and responded, "So, you are telling me you want a pastor who will come here and change everything you are doing." The chairperson quickly said that was not what they wanted. I then told the committee, "You do know if you could grow your church by doing what you're already doing, you would already be growing. Since you are not growing, something has to change." The chairperson smiled at me and said, "Maybe we need to talk about this some more." I don't remember, but I don't think I was invited back to their future meetings.

Nearly every church wants to grow, but most of them want to do so without changing anything they are already doing. Church growth doesn't happen that way. Another church called me saying they had formed a church growth committee (a creature almost certain to not grow a church), and they wanted me to come and explain how they could grow without upsetting anyone in the church. I actually laughed on the phone and told the caller, "I'll save me a trip and you a meeting: You can't." They asked me to meet with them anyway, and we did have an honest discussion on the cost of growth.

Nobody enjoys change except small babies. Church leaders, including pastors, often dislike change because it disrupts what they are already doing. Change makes many members of the congregation uncomfortable because no one is sure what their role will be in the church system, or if they will even have a role. Others worry about what will change next. Sometimes church members will leave a church because they strongly dislike changes, and no one wants to lose members of the church. In yet a third church that asked me to speak to them about growth I mentioned that changes would have to be made, and one of the costs of change is the possibility that you might lose some people. Later, in a Q&A session, one older member of the church said she didn't know anyone in the church she was willing to give up. Others agreed with her, and nothing changed and the church continues to struggle.

The question is sometimes asked what needs to change. That depends on the church and its situation. It may be attitudes within the church. Perhaps the church needs to shift its focus from inward-looking to outward. The church may need to take steps to become a healthier congregation. It might take new leadership, both pastoral and lay. There are too many variables to say this needs to change and that needs to change. Each church must look at itself and determine what obstacles exist that are keeping people out. You may need to invite your denominational representative or another outside consultant to help you look at your current system. Remember...your system is perfectly designed for the results you are getting.

No comments: