Friday, February 24, 2023

The pastor's presence

One of the things I have enjoyed in my 40+ years of serving in smaller churches is the ability to be with people. I enjoy spending 15 minutes or so before the worship service walking around the sanctuary speaking with the folks who are gathered there. It gives an opportunity to learn how things are going in their lives. This informal time allows me to joke with and laugh with individuals. One gentleman in the church I now serve apologized one morning saying that a new medicine he was taking made it difficult for him to stay awake any time he sat down,, and he might doze off during the sermon. I told him that was fine as long as he didn't share any of that medicine with the rest of the congregation. This kind of conversation enables the pastor to build relationships and connect with people on a less formal pastor-congregant level, and I believe this is important for a pastor to enjoy a successful ministry.

Any time I see guests in the service I always make a point of introducing myself and learning as much about them as time permits. Once when I was a Resource Minister in our region I visited one of my churches for their worship service. When the pastor saw me sitting there he came over to speak to me. After he walked away a gentleman sitting in front of me turned around and asked if that was the pastor. That was his first time in that church, but even though the pastor walked past him he never acknowledged him or spoke to him. 

Having never pastored a large church I suppose it might be more difficult to greet people prior to the service. Frankly, it would be hard for me to not be able to spend that time with the congregation prior to the worship service. I just believe that there are ministry opportunities available in those spontaneous conversations. If nothing else, there is the ministry of presence where you are present with that individual even for just a few minutes. Occasionally, something is said that makes me think a follow-up conversation is needed. I can call them that week and see if we need to continue our conversation.

I know how busy pastors are. I also know that many pastors do not like to have idle conversations just before the service begins as they feel it distracts them from their message. I would suggest if they are not more comfortable with their sermon than that they need more preparation time during the week. Our ministry is with people.

John Maxwell tells a story of when he was a pastor he was talking with some staff in the lobby of the church he served. One staff member walked in and went straight to his office without speaking. Maxwell followed him to his office and asked why he didn't stop to speak to everyone. The staff member replied he had a lot of work to do and didn't want to take the time to stop. Maxwell explained that people was his work. He said the staff member recognized the truth of that statement and became one of the best ministers on staff.

Pastors, please don't forget that people are your ministry. Just being present in their lives is a major aspect of your ministry. Some respond to that by saying they just are not a people person. My response to that is that if you cannot build relationships with people you should not be in pastoral ministry. Ministry is all about relationships, especially in the smaller church. You are not a CEO of a corporation. You are the under-shepherd of a group of people the Lord has entrusted to your care. Be present in their lives.


No comments: