Friday, January 27, 2023

Star Wars

 I've admitted here before I am a Star Wars fan. I've watched the films numerous times and have all of them on video. A few years I decided to begin reading the books, and during the Covid quarantine I read several of them. The last I knew there were 381 Star Wars books published not counting comics and those for children. I've read 139 of them.

The funny thing about this is that before I began reading these books I seldom read a fiction book. I probably didn't average reading one fiction book a year before I began reading the Star Wars books. My reading was focused on ministry, leadership, personal growth, theology and similar interests. I thought reading fiction was a waste of time. I was wrong. For one thing, it's better than watching endless hours of TV. More importantly, it allows your mind to think about possibilities you may have never thought of before. I never got too excited about space before reading these novels, but now I try to watch the Space Station fly over every chance I get. No matter how many times I watch that amazing spectacle I think of how perfectly fine-tuned God created our universe that we can know exactly the time and the location that the Space Station will pass within our viewing range. Currently, I'm excited about the green comet that is expected to be viewable in my location on February 2. I think it's the first time in 50,000 years it has been close enough to earth to be visible. I doubt I'll get a second chance to see it if I miss it this time!

Star War books are the classic story of the battle between good and evil. Like many good novels, it often appears that evil will win, but somehow good seems to triumph. I have to admit as well that I often find disturbing parallels between the Senate and the evil Emperor in these novels and our own current government. The treacheries and deceit found in these books could easily come out the front pages of our current newspapers. After reading these books it could become easy to get a little paranoid any time our government seeks to reassure us that everything is fine!

One of the things I like best about these books is that it costs me nothing to read them. I have a large library of books that I have spent a small fortune to obtain. These Star Wars books are accessed through an app called Libby. I simply use my library card from our local library and can access any book that is available through that library. Since our library is connected to a larger group of libraries that means I have a large collection of books I can read on my phone or laptop. Everyone of these Star Wars books have been obtained this way saving me a lot of money. Depending on your library you may have tens of thousands of books available to you on virtually any subject you can think of that you can read without ever leaving your home. 

Leaders are readers. This app is a great opportunity for you to increase your reading with no cost to you. I encourage you to check it out.

No comments: