Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Christian Websites and Pop-Up Ads

 It might be early in the year for a rant, but here it comes anyway. I was doing research on a topic on several Christian websites and struggled to do anything for all the pop-up ads that  kept appearing on my screen. Some of them blocked half the page so I couldn't read anything until I did something with the pop-up, and in some cases there wasn't even an option to delete it. I just had to go off the page without reading the article.

I understand the need to monetize a site, but it was ridiculous at the number of pop-up ads on these sites. I tried to visualize a non-Christian trying to learn more about Christianity running into this problem. Such a person would come to the conclusion that the site wasn't nearly as interested in providing information as it was in getting their money. That mindset already exists in the thinking of many non-Christians (and some Christians as well).

Along with the commercial pop-ups there were also those offering a free resource, again with no way to delete the pop-up. Those "free" resources requires your email address which will lead to your inbox being filled with more offers. No thanks.

Very seldom do I research a topic on secular sites and have to deal with unwanted pop-ups. They may have offers for consideration, but they are not usually preventing anyone from reading the article.

Some of my Christian friends need to re-consider their use of pop-up ads. It really does not project a very good image.

No comments: