Tuesday, January 10, 2023

A life well lived

I read yesterday where Jack Hayford passed away. I never met the man, but he was one I admired from afar. He wrote over 50 books and more than 600 hymns and choruses. His song Majesty is sung in many churches each week. He was the founding pastor of The Church on the Way where he served as senior pastor for more than 30 years. He also founded The Kings University where he served as chancellor and was active with Promise Keepers. For five years he served as President of The International Church of the Foursquare Gospel.

I heard him speak in interviews and on tape a number of times and was always impressed by his gentle spirit. He was a man called of God who recognized that calling and sought to live in that calling to the best of his ability.

One of the things that impressed me so much about Jack Hayford was his approach to ministry and to life. He was never flamboyant or excessive in his approach to either. The various positions he held could have made him arrogant, a problem some mega-church pastors and denominational leaders seem unable to avoid. I always felt I could sit down with Jack Hayford and talk about anything and be heard and come away with practical advice that addressed my questions.

Hayford is now in eternity with the One he worshiped so well. No doubt he has heard the wonderful words we all seek to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant...." He truly lived life well.

We could do worse than follow the example Jack Hayford set before us. He was a pastor to thousands, a founder of an important university, a writer, a song writer, and yet I believe if you asked him he would respond that he was simply doing what God called him to do. Far more than his successes, he was faithful to the work God set before him. This should be the goal of all of us called into ministry.

One of the things I find most attractive in Christian leaders is faithfulness. I own a print of George Younce and Glenn Payne, founding members of The Cathedrals, that is on the wall in front of my desk. Their faithfulness in carrying out God's call on their lives has always been an inspiration to me. I see that picture numerous times a day when I working in my study to encourage me to that same faithfulness. Jack Hayford inspires the same desire to be faithful to God's call on my life. I care not about the world's acclaim. I only want to hear God's affirmation of my life and ministry when I stand before Him. I encourage you to seek the same.

No comments: