Monday, January 14, 2019

Sermon ideas

This past Saturday afternoon a pastor sent me a text asking if I was available to preach for him the next morning. He had the stomach flu and didn't feel like he would be able to preach. I was glad to fill in. My wife asked if I had a sermon I could use. I've been preaching now for 38 years so, yea, I've got a few sermons. However, I also have some new sermons that I've written since finishing as a Transitional Pastor. I explained to her that just because I'm not preaching every week that doesn't mean I'm not preparing sermons. Scripture tells us to be instant in season and out of season. I always want to be ready to share the Word of God when I have opportunity.

As a younger pastor I probably had more sermon ideas than I ever developed. I would read something or hear something and think that would be a great message. But, I wouldn't write anything down and would soon forget the idea. That doesn't happen now. If I'm reading or listening to something and it triggers a sermon idea I immediately write down a note to remind me.

During my devotional reading this past week I ran across a great thought for a sermon. I stopped my reading, pulled out other resources, and in 2-3 hours had a completed sermon. At some point there will be an appropriate time and place to share it, and if not I've still benefited from the study that went into the message.

I've written elsewhere about the time challenges bivocational pastors face. The fact is, most pastors are busy. Many struggle with finding time to prepare good messages. One way to maximize your sermon preparation is to always be on the lookout for sermon ideas, and when you find them make notes that will remind you of your thoughts. In a perfect world you would stop what you are doing and develop the message right then. That may not always be possible, but at least make notes. I've always heard that a dull pencil is more valuable than a sharp mind. The chances are good if you just try to remember your ideas about the message, you'll forget them. Write them down!

If you regularly preach you should always be looking for sermon ideas or illustrations everywhere. Those ideas do not have to come out of your Bible reading. Some of the best messages I've developed have come from common life events. After all, didn't Jesus often teach some of his best lessons from events that were going on around Him? Of course, you'll want to make sure your thoughts are supported by Scripture and use your study resources to properly prepare your message, but the germ of the idea can come from common, ordinary events that happen to everyone.

 By always looking for sermon ideas and developing those ideas whether or not you need a sermon for the next week, you'll always be ready to preach. You never know when you'll get a text on a Saturday evening asking if you can fill in for a sick pastor or when you'll have an unusually busy week that interferes with your study time.

No comments: