Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Crossroads

I have to admit that I am at a crossroads with this blog, and I'm trying to decide whether to continue writing it or not. Since starting the blog I've written over 1,600 posts, but they do not seem to be drawing much of a following. The number of people who follow this blog stopped growing some time back. Few posts ever have more than 50-60 views. The last one was read by 22 people.

The original purpose for the blog was to develop a community for bivocational ministers to share their thoughts with me and one another. An extremely low percentage of the posts ever had a comment. Some have privately written saying how much they appreciate the blog or a specific article I've written, but there hasn't been much dialogue or much community.

Much of my life and ministry has been in support of bivocational ministers. The numbers of such folk continue to grow across denominations, but we seem to be an isolated group of people. Having served 20 years as a bivocational pastor I know how busy we are, but I've never understood why we seem so reluctant to relate to one another in community.

When we eat at a new restaurant that is really good we tell everybody about it. If we find a store that offers good quality items at fair prices we want to tell others. If you have found the articles in this blog helpful, have you told anyone they need to follow it? Have you shared it with others through your social media connections? I know a few of you have because I follow you on FB and see where you've shared the articles, but I'm not sure how much of that happens.

Within the next few weeks I'll make a decision about whether to continue this blog. Your responses will help me make that decision. If there is something I can do to make it more helpful to you, let me know.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't always have time, but I usually read several articles in one sitting when I do. I enjoy them and have taken your advice several times. I especially appreciate that you always include women by saying 'he or she' in reference to pastors. Even in a denomination that recognizes God calls women to the preaching ministry as well as men, it's still hard at times to be taken seriously and to muster up the support of those who could really be of great help in the operation of the church's ministry. So I'd really like for you to continue writing words of encouragement to all of us, male and female, who are doing our best to win souls and make good disciples out of them.

PDXphil said...

I only discovered your blog tonight, as I took a few minutes to search on the topic "bivocational ministry". It's something I have done "by accident" since 2006, mostly as a youth pastor and lately English adult pastor in an ethnic Chinese, Mandarin language speaking church. I took this responsibility seriously enough to go to seminary and finish a degree almost 5 years ago, but do struggle with doubts on whether this is the right path for me to continue serving God. I look forward to reading more and more of your older posts as I have time, and for one hope you decide to keep writing. Agreed bivocational pastors should make a greater effort to connect virtually with one another for support and encouragement!