Friday, September 14, 2018

Pastoral libraries

I am currently facing a problem that all retiring ministers face towards the end of their ministries. What do I do with my library?

Numerous times in this blog I've posted articles about how much my library means to me. I've spent the past 35 years adding books to the library that I thought would be helpful in my pastoral and writing ministries. Having recently celebrated my 70th birthday I realize that decisions need to be made regarding my books. I don't want to leave them for my wife to deal with.

I posted some online and sold a few, but not nearly enough to justify the amount of time it took me to list them. I've boxed some up and sold them at auction, but not many people who attend auctions are interested in buying ministerial and theological books. The boxes that did sell only brought a couple of dollars for the entire box. I also realize that many of them are so marked up with highlighting and underlining that they have little value. (Let's just say I'm an active reader!)

At different times I've considered donating them to a church for its library, but I'm realistic enough to know how much many church libraries are used.

Of course, every time I think about getting rid of my library I begin to fear that I might need these books. I just completed a two-year stint as a Transitional Pastor, and my commentaries and theological books were invaluable as I returned to preparing sermons and Bible studies. My books on leadership and ministry were consulted as I was once again confronted with some of the leadership challenges of pastoral ministry. What if I get rid of my books and then am called to another interim position?

Then I hear the story from a retired pastor's wife who boxed up his library when they moved into a smaller house and no longer had a church office. His library is stacked in boxes sitting in a corner of their garage! I don't want that to happen to my library.

I would be interested in hearing from some of my retired readers to learn what you did with your pastoral library.


No comments: