Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti earthquake

We've all seen the destruction that has occurred in Haiti this week due to the Category 7 earthquake that hit there earlier.  The reports are not good coming from that country, and each of us needs to pray for the people and for those who are leading the rescue and recovery efforts.

Several years ago I went to Haiti for a week to do some work at a youth center our denomination sponsors in Cap Haitian and to see some of our mission work first-hand.  The poverty was beyond belief.  I had been in some very impoverished areas before, especially during my time in the military, but I had never seen anything to compare to this.  It was a week that changed my life, my ministry, and my appreciation for the work missionaries have been called to do.  When I heard of the earthquake I knew that the damage would be incredible because of the structures that existed there.

I would imagine most denominations are raising money for relief efforts at this time.  I would encourage those of you who are members of a denomination to channel your money through them to be sure that it gets to Haiti.  Unfortunately, there are some groups out there who will use this disaster to line their own pockets.  They will make their appeals, churches will give their money to them in good faith, and little, if any of it, will actually make its way to Haiti.  Giving through your denomination is the safest way to contribute to the relief effort there.  If you are not part of a denomination, I would suggest you give your money through an organization that you know you can trust such as the Billy Graham organization, the Red Cross, or another trusted ministry.

With our financial assistance, let's be sure to keep these people in our prayers.  As I told my wife when the news broke, they didn't have much before this earthquake, and now even that has been taken from them.  The suffering will be great and will last for months to come.  This is the time for the church to rise up and minister "to the least of these."

No comments: