Friday, February 23, 2024

Don't quench the Spirit

I recently had an interesting thought the other day. How would most of the churches I know handle an outpouring of the Holy Spirit as the early church did in Acts 2? I would imagine many of them would call an emergency meeting of the pastors and deacons to discuss how to control this unprecedented event in the life of their church. Surely, they would reason, people must understand that God doesn't do things like this any more. This is nothing but pure emotionalism. The age of miracles is over. Speaking in tongues ended when that which is perfect had come. Everything must now be done decently and in order.

I've heard all these arguments all my Christian life. I've heard it from pastors, from denominational leaders, from seminary professors and from lay leaders. I've heard all the proof texts that "prove" this is not the way God works today. What I've not seen is 3,000 people saved in one day as a result of the Holy Spirit moving in a powerful way. I've not seen the church adding daily all those who are being saved. I have not seen a bold church that would not be stopped by the political forces that are determined to stop the spread of the Gospel.

My tribe (Baptists) do not spend a lot of time focusing on the Holy Spirit. I think we're afraid of Him. I think we recognize that He cannot be controlled. He might disrupt the order of our worship service as it's listed in the bulletin. Heaven help us if someone wanted to get saved before the pastor gave an invitation. (I'll help those who might be wondering: that was sarcasm.) 

Actually, that fear is real. The Holy Spirit cannot be controlled. He can be quenched. The Spirit will not come where He is not welcomed. He will not force Himself on anyone. But, once He is invited into our midst He will not be controlled. He is God. We do not tell God what He can and cannot do.

I often pray that the Holy Spirit will have free reign to do whatever He wants to do in our church. I invite Him to move throughout our congregation and address every need anyone might have. I am not afraid of an outpouring of the Holy Ghost in our church. I welcome it. I can preach the Word of God and invite people to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, but the Holy Spirit is the one who truly transforms lives. He is the one who brings people to a saving relationship with Jesus Christ. He is the one who brings real transformation.

I want to see lives transformed, and only God can transform lives. How incredible it would be to see 3,000 people saved in a single day, and only God can do that. Come Holy Spirit. Fill my life. Fill our church with your presence. Come in all your power, touching and transforming lives.

No comments: