Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The impossible ministry

 Several years ago while serving as a regional minister for our denomination we found ourselves in a financial pinch. The economy was down, many of our churches were struggling financially and were contributing less to the denomination. As our staff retired they were not being replaced. Those of us who continued to serve were given the responsibilities of those who had retired. As this began, I had less than 90 churches in my area, but this grew to over 130. The geographical area I covered doubled causing me to spend a lot more time on the road. As this began, a member of our personal committee told me that I had been given an impossible task but to do the best I could and not get discouraged when I couldn't do everything I had done before.

I think about this as I read about the numbers of pastors who are frustrated with ministry and thinking about leaving. Ministry was already tough in our postmodern world, and the challenges of Covid made it even more difficult. One young pastor told me he had just gone to his first church when Covid happened, and nothing in his training had prepared him for all the decisions that needed to be made. That would be true even for those of us who have been in ministry for a number of years, but I'm sure it was even more challenging for him.

Ministry is difficult, and in many ways, impossible. Every pastor faces expectations that can never be met. Most of us do not get into trouble for not meeting the requirements of our job description. We get into trouble when we fail to meet the expectations of the people in our congregations. As I've told many pastor gatherings, in a church of 50 people there will be 50 different unwritten job descriptions, and in many of our churches there might be 51 because we'll have at least one person somewhat schizophrenic! It is impossible to meet everyone's expectations. So what do we do?

First, we have to remember that we are called by God to do His work. While the church's expectations are not to be ignored, our first responsibility is to the task God has given us. We may not be able to do that if we are running around like a stray dog at a whistler's convention trying to satisfy everyone's expectations.

Secondly, we have to work as much as possible within the areas of our giftedness. Notice I said as much as possible. I know the areas in which God has gifted me, and I am much more effective as long as I work within those areas. However, there are times when I must step outside those areas to handle necessary tasks. I try to minimize that as much as possible, but every pastor will find times when it necessary.

Thirdly, we have to stay true to our priorities. Some churches still expect pastors to ignore their family needs to be available to them 24/7/365. We need to be very clear about our priorities and make sure everyone else is clear as to what they are.

Finally, we must realize that everything does not depend on us. The cemeteries are full of indispensable people, and somehow life went on even when they were gone. This is God's work. We partner with Him for the time He gives us with our particular ministry. Horizontally or vertically, one day we will leave our current ministry, and if the Lord tarries another will take our place. While we are there we are simply called to do the best we can do with the Lord's help.

That period of denominational ministry was often impossible. There were times of frustration when it seemed overwhelming, but one can only do what one can do. When I retired from that ministry I did so feeling good about what had been accomplished. New people were called in to continue the work, and they have done very well. God is working with them just as He did with me, and good things are happening.

Don't let ministry beat you up. Stay faithful to the work God has given you. Do the best you can do and leave the rest to Him. One day you'll be rewarded when you hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant...."

No comments: