Tuesday, November 23, 2021

2000th blog post

 This article marks the 2,000th post I've made on this blog. For many bloggers that is not a huge number, but I'm sure there are many people who cannot believe I would have 2,000 things to discuss! Frankly, I didn't realize I had written that many posts until I happened to see the number on my screen.

While the posts have covered a number of different items, most have focused on challenges and opportunities facing the small and bivocational church and those who lead these churches. I have always been, and always will be, an advocate for the smaller church. While there is nothing wrong with larger churches, I am convinced the smaller church can offer things that may be missing in the larger ones. For many people, a smaller church is simply a better fit. There is a sense of family and community commonly found in the smaller church that many are looking for. It is easier to provide personal pastoral care to individuals in the smaller church. Often, people are more engaged in ministry in the smaller church than they might be in a larger one. After all, it's pretty hard to hide in a smaller church. The list of things the smaller church can offer would include much more than I have space to list here.

With my commitment to the smaller church I am also committed to those who lead such churches, especially those serving in bivocational roles. For much of my bivocational pastorate there were few good resources available. I'm excited that has changed dramatically in the past two decades. Books, journal articles, doctoral theses are now available that focus specifically on bivocational ministry. Some schools and seminaries now offer programs especially developed for persons planning to enter bivocational ministry. There are also a growing number of ministers who do plan to serve in that capacity. I cannot tell you how rewarding this is to me.

I've now served in ministry for 40 years. Not everything I've seen change in ministry has been good, but some have. As I continue to view the church world I see many more changes coming, and I am certain there are far more I cannot see. I do believe God is doing a new thing in His church, and as we make the transition to whatever that might be it will be a glorious thing. After all, this is God's church, and no power will prevent it from accomplishing His purposes for it.

No comments: