Monday, November 16, 2020

Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor pandemic, nor darkness...

Yesterday was a first for me. It was the first time I've preached with no electricity in the church. Strong winds knocked out the power in the area surrounding the church. The lights went out 4-5 times before staying out. The energy company reported they didn't expect power to be restored until later in the afternoon. So, we had no sound system, no songs on the screens, no PowerPoint for the message and no lights. What we did have was a worship service.

We had enough outside light to see inside the sanctuary so we opened our hymnbooks and sung. A young couple provided some wonderful special music. Two people recorded the service on their phones to be put on our website later in the day so the many who tune in each week for the service can watch it. And I preached just as I always do. As I've often said, I have a great voice in case of fire or shipwreck (in other words I'm a loudmouth) so I doubt no one in the sanctuary or those watching the service at home had a problem hearing the message.  

Sometimes the church gets too used to the technology it has available today. We can become dependent on it if we're not careful and feel we can't function without it. All that technology is great, but the only thing we really need is the Holy Spirit in order to worship and serve. Our electrical power may fail; His power will never fail.

No comments: