Monday, October 5, 2020

Exciting news about bivocational ministry

 In 2010 I earned my Doctor of Ministry degree. My thesis was on "Coaching Bivocational Ministers for Greater Ministry Effectiveness." This past week I received word that my thesis has now been downloaded 3,020 times since I completed it. Personally, I wish the ones who downloaded it had bought my book The Art and Practice of Bivocational Ministry: A Pastor's Guide since that is the same material I addressed in the thesis without all the academic requirements of a doctoral paper! At least I would have received a royalty payment!

Seriously, I am excited that so many people have referenced my paper to learn more about bivocational ministry. Nearly every year since writing that paper one or two people have contacted me stating they are writing their doctoral papers on some aspect of bivocational ministry and wanting to ask me questions about my experiences and what I've learned over the years. For many years there was little academic interest in bivocational work. Few books were published prior to my first one that was released in 2001. Many denominations looked at bivocational ministry as second-class ministry that was acceptable only for their smallest churches and performed by people who lacked the education to serve in larger churches. That is not the prevailing attitude today.

Denominations have seen the value bivocational ministers bring to their churches. Many report the numbers of bivocational ministers are growing in their denominations. Some schools now offer specific training opportunities for bivocational ministers. A few seminaries now offer dual degree programs for persons intentionally planning to do bivocational ministry. Denominations have developed training programs for their bivocational ministers as well. Every year more doctoral students are producing academic papers on this ministry. It is exciting the see the changes that have occurred regarding bivocational ministry in my lifetime.

While it is too early to know for certain all the changes that will occur in the church as a result of the pandemic it is possible that we will see even more churches calling bivocational ministers in the future. As I wrote last week, churches are now dealing with congregations made up of those attending church services in person, those who are digital attendees only, and as more restrictions are dropped we will have some who sometimes attend in person and sometimes participate online. One challenge this presents the church is how to best serve their digital congregation, which in some cases will outnumber those attending the services in person. I can envision some churches calling bivocational ministers to provide pastoral ministry to the digital congregation.

This will be in addition to the churches no longer able to afford the salary and benefit package necessary to call a fully-funded pastor who will be seeking bivocational leadership in the future. We will also continue to see growing numbers of churches calling bivocational persons to church staff positions. The numbers of churches seeking bivocational leadership has been growing for the past several years, and I believe it will grow even more in the years to come.

In fact, the demand for bivocational leadership already exceeds the number of people available to meet that demand. Just in my small part of the world there are a number of churches who need good bivocational ministers, and denominational leadership struggles to provide them with the names of good candidates. This should be a matter of prayer for all of us.

It should also challenge us to ask if God might be calling us to such ministry. Perhaps you are someone who believes that God might be calling you into the ministry but you are not sure what that might mean or what it might look like. Just last week an individual approached me with questions about his sense of call. If you have such questions, please feel free to talk to your pastor or contact me. No one can tell you if God is calling you into the ministry. Only you can determine that. But, I can help you think through what you might be feeling and try to answer any questions you might have.

No comments: