Monday, October 26, 2020

Give people a safe place to discuss their doubts about faith

I had some people ask if I was still writing my blog. They had noticed nothing had been posted for a few days. That was because we were on vacation celebrating our anniversary. For the past 10 days we've been enjoying the beach at Panama City Beach for our 54th anniversary. The weather was perfect the entire time we were there. The beach wasn't crowded although the restaurants were during the evening. I got my fill of grouper and shrimp, got some sun and some much needed rest.

But now I'm back and ready to go. Today I'm going to the church office to see if anything has happened while I was away and catch up on the church news. My sermon was prepared before I left so I don't have to be concerned about that. My focus now will be on preparing for 2021 and staying in touch with members of the congregation. It's a little difficult to prepare too far ahead due to the Covid as we never know what changes we'll be facing in the weeks and months ahead, but it's still important to make plans and set some goals. If they need to be adjusted as we move into 2021 that's OK. It's still better than just drifting along reacting to whatever life throws our direction.

I also have an auction to prepare for. This morning I posted the listing and 175 pictures for an estate auction I'm doing on November 7. I have four people wanting to bring me items to sell at the auction after that one so things are picking up in that part of my life as well.

While on vacation I re-read a book that I found more interesting this time I read it than I did before. Perhaps it's because I'm back on pastoral ministry again, and the material was more applicable. The book was You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church . . . and Rethinking Faith by David Kinnaman. It is based on research done by The Barna Group and does an excellent job of explaining why so many young people leave the church during their high school and college years. This has long been a problem common to many churches across denominational lines, and we are obviously not doing a good job of addressing it since it continues to happen. Kinnaman makes a number of recommendations of things churches need to do differently to stop the flow of young people leaving the church.

Many want to blame the secular universities for young people walking away from the church and/or their faith. Kinnaman actually points out that the decision to walk away often occurs well before people leave for school. A number of factors can bring about this decision, but one that is common to many is that churches do not do a good job of providing young people a safe place to ask questions about God and their faith. One 13-year-old has already told me her church, a fairly large one, ignores her when she tries to ask questions and how frustrated she gets when that happens. Unless something changes she may very well leave the church when she gets old enough to make that decision.

Vacations are a time to rest, but they are also a time to refuel. I have come home refueled and ready to go.

No comments: