Tuesday, November 26, 2019

The loss of a mentor

Many bivocational pastors feel they receive little to no support from their denomination or judicatory leaders. That was never my experience. My first Area Minister was very supportive. We talked about issues in the church, he preached several times in our church, and was always available to me. My second Area Minister was Riley Walker who was just as supportive and became an important mentor to me. Riley passed away this past weekend.

Riley and I talked often, and I got to know his heart for ministry and for life. He was a very gracious individual, but he was also not afraid to confront problems head-on. No one ever had to wonder what he thought because he would tell them, and that was one of the things I appreciated about him.

After I had been pastor of my church for a number of years I knew it was about time for me to leave. I felt God was leading me away, but I wasn't sure to where. I called Riley and asked if we could talk about that. He came down to play a round of golf and to discuss my future in the ministry. He suggested there were six different options for me including one I had never considered: serving as an Area Minister. At that time I did not have a seminary degree which I believed was a prerequisite for that role. Riley assured me that things were changing, and in some of our regions a seminary degree might not be required.

About a year or so later Riley accepted the call to serve as the Executive Minister in another region, and our Executive Minister called to ask if I would serve as the interim Area Minister. After my wife and I spent a weekend praying and discussing it, I agreed. I continued to pastor my church and served as the interim Area Minister in the same area Riley had left. Several months later I was offered the position full-time.

When I picked up Riley's files and papers I asked him what he thought my greatest asset would be in this new role. He quickly responded that it would be that I had never pastored a large church. He explained that the majority of the churches in my area were small, many of them bivocational, and I would have access to those churches that he did not have as a former pastor of a large church. I then asked him what my greatest challenge would be, and his answer was the same, that I had never pastored a large church! Some would question whether I had the experience to serve in this role. He turned out to be right on both counts.

For 14 years I served as an Area Minister. It was a great time of ministry, but it would never have happened without Riley's encouragement and the faith and confidence my Executive Minister, Larry Mason, had in me. I owe both men much, and although I did not see Riley very often in recent years I will miss him.

Riley was a mentor not only to me, but to many others as well. What a wonderful legacy! It's one that each of us in church leadership should strive to achieve. I would ask who are you mentoring today? What young leader can you come alongside to encourage and to pass on your experiences and life lessons to? I meet many bivocational, and fully-funded, pastors who want and need a mentor to help them navigate the challenges of ministry. I pray that I have been that mentor to some, and I encourage you to serve as a mentor to others as well.

No comments: