Monday, October 21, 2019

What is your church's myth?

One of the books I read on my recent vacation was Beyond the Ordinary: Spirituality for Church Leaders by Ben Campbell Johnson. In one chapter in this book he writes about the myths that every church has about itself and the power of those myths. He wrote, "Every church has a myth and lives and ministers in the power of it. The congregation interprets events in its life through this myth, this narrative it has constructed, and make strategic decisions according to the values of this mythic account of its corporate life." He later explains, "A church's myth is a narrative created by a congregation through its interpretation of the things that have happened to it. It is the story, based on its perception and interpretive imagination, out of which a particular church lives and ministers."

As a judicatory leader for fourteen years working with hundreds of churches I saw the truth of this played out in so many of these churches. While assisting one church in vision discernment a good discussion was occurring about one aspect of that vision when a member said, "Well, that sounds good, but you KNOW we can't do that." She went on to remind the group of something that had happened in the church years past that, to her at least, ruled out any possibility of doing what was being discussed. Amazingly, the others dropped the original discussion. The myth ruled over present opportunities in that church.

When I began as pastor of a small, rural church the average pastoral tenure of that church for many years was 12 months. I had been there for about six months when in a Sunday school class one of the deacons said that I would soon be leaving for a BETTER church. I was in the room and almost fell out of my chair. Part of the myth this church believed about itself was that it wasn't good enough to keep a pastor for more than a year, and it had become a self-fulfilling prophecy. They literally didn't know what to do when I passed the two-year mark. When I finished Bible school they were sure I would leave. I didn't. Probably when I finally did leave after 20 years in that church some were wondering if they would ever get rid of me!

I could give dozens of stories of how the myths churches hold about themselves hinder their current ministries and future ones.  It is important for a pastor to understand and appreciate the myths a church has before attempting to make any changes or he or she will find themselves trapped in the middle of a minefield. Spend some time with long-time members of the church and ask questions about past events. Know how they have got to where they are today and what they think is possible for the future.

Johnson writes that it is not only important for the pastor to know the stories that created the myths, it's important that the pastor embraces the myth even if it is not attractive. This is who they are so embrace it. Don't talk about their story; talk about "our" story. While recently serving as a transitional pastor I intentionally kept talking about "our" church. Everyone knew I would be leaving when a new pastor was called, but I wanted people to understand that while I was there it was "our" church, not just "your" church. I was part of that congregation, and as a result their stories were my stories. Especially in a smaller church, this is an important step into being seen as a part of the church.

Johnson goes on to suggest ways to help transform the myths that are not healthy for a church to continue to cling to. You'll need to read that for yourself and see what might work in your situation.

 Just remember, every church has stories that has led them to hold certain beliefs about who they are and what they are capable of doing. Effective leadership will understand those stories and the myths they produced within the congregation. Now, what is your church's myths?

No comments: