Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Ministers and criticism

The story is told about D. L. Moody preaching a revival. On the last night of the revival a person in the audience handed an usher a note for Moody. When Moody received the note he read it, and all that was written was one word: FOOL!

Moody walked to the pulpit and said he had been handed a very unusual note. He told the people he had often received letters from people who failed to sign their names, but this was the first time he received one that was signed but the person forgot to write the letter.

Over the years I've been blessed to have very seldom received a critical note from anyone. On the rare occasions I have I look for a signature, and if there isn't one I quickly file it in the trash can. I can't respond to something when people won't even tell me who is being critical. No one can.

Actually, I don't mind constructive criticism. Such criticism can lead to growth in my life and ministry. I still remember early in my ministry when a teacher in our congregation approached me to say she was concerned that my poor grammar would hinder me in ministry. Unknown to her I had recently enrolled in a Bible school, and that first semester I was taking an English grammar class. That was 30 years ago, and recently when talking to her on the phone I asked if she remembered that conversation. She did and told me how scared she was to say anything about that to me. I assured her I appreciated her concern over my ministry and was not offended.

I don't even mind criticism that isn't constructive if it gives me a change to explain the reasons behind my words or actions. Sometimes people are critical about something because they do not understand the reasoning why things are done the was they are. If it gives me an opportunity to explain then such criticism can be positive. However, if I do not know who is complaining, there's not much I can do.

Another thing I learned early in ministry is that I will never please some people. Some people just have a critical spirit, and it doesn't matter what you do they are going to complain. Such people can drive you out of the ministry if you let them. I've learned to ignore them, and if they won't be ignored, then I'm more than willing to confront them.

I do encourage you to listen to the critics. Even if you don't agree with what they are saying, there may be a kernel of truth in their criticisms. If you can identify that kernel and correct it you may improve your ministry and make a future ally for the future. Criticism is never pleasant to hear, but if it makes you a better person or a better minister then it's important to hear it. I've learned a lot from my critics, and I've grown because of them. You can too.

No comments: