Thursday, January 2, 2014

My top ten reads for 2013 6-10

Each year I like to post my top ten favorite books for the year.  I read similar lists on other blogs and often find some books I think I would like to read.  I think it's beneficial to read books other leaders have found helpful. A few years ago one leader I respect published a list of several books he recommended to ministry leaders, and over the next two or three years I read over half of those books.  The vast majority I found to be excellent reads.  Maybe you'll see a book or two on my list that will appeal to you.

10.  Success over Stress: 12 Ways to Take Back Your Life by H. Norman Wright.  Every ministry leader knows what stress is like.  We often find it difficult to keep our lives and ministries in balance.  Wright recognizes that we can't eliminate stress from our lives, but he provides some great advice to lessen the negative impact that stress can create.  This was a book I kept in my car for those times when I was between meetings.  Just having this book to read during such times helped reduce that stress!

9.   Taking God Seriously: Major Lessons from the Minor Prophets by Stuart Briscoe.  This was a book I read as part of my devotional reading this year.  It is a book I used several years ago when I was preaching a series of sermons through the Minor Prophets.  I really enjoyed re-reading it this time simply as a devotional reading as it reminded me of God's faithfulness and the grace he demonstrated to the nation of Israel even when they would turn away from him.  Reading this caused me to reflect on the times God has extended the same grace to me.

8.   The Carrot Principle: How the Best Managers Use Recognition to Engage Their People, Retain Talent, and Accelerate Performance [Updated Revised] by Adrian Gostick.  Based upon extensive research the author believes the most effective leaders add a fifth element to the four basic tasks of leadership: Goal setting, Communication, Trust, and Accountability.  The fifth element he would add is Recognition.  He then goes on to describe how to build a carrot culture in any organization.  For ministry leaders who often work with volunteers I think this book is a must read.

7.    Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money by Rabbi Daniel Lapin.  I first heard Rabbi Lapin on a Dave Ramsey podcast talk about the principles in this book.  Despite what some in the media and government may want us to believe, there is nothing sinful or wrong about capitalism or making money.  Rabbi Lapin acknowledges that the Jewish people are good business people and he understands the reasons for this are found in the principles they are often taught in childhood.  This book attempts to share those same principles with everyone.  Let me mention just two he discusses: One should sacrifice present pleasures for future benefits, and have respect for the value of education.  In addition to the business aspects found in this book I greatly enjoyed his teachings from the Torah and from Jewish traditions.

6.   Get Off Your Donkey!: Help Somebody and Help Yourself by Reggie McNeal.  Taking his cues from Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan, McNeal challenges the church to get out of their comfortable church pews and go out to minister to a hurting world.  He insists the church is not God's major agenda and writes that "God's mission involved the redemptive restoration of everything that sin has tarnished and broken."  He also warns the reader that any pastor who attempts to lead the church to serve the people in the street should expect pushback from the religious crowd.  This is an important read for a church serious about ministering to people as Jesus did.

Tomorrow, we will complete the list.

No comments: