Thursday, May 23, 2024

Role models for ministers

In my reading last night the author shared some of the role models, or mentors, a number of well-known ministers had that shaped them and their ministries. He then concluded that every minister must have a role model or mentor who inspires and instructs them. That made me begin thinking of the persons who have shaped my life and ministry. Most of these people I never met, but I have drank deeply from their writings.

Charles Swindoll has influenced my preaching. I have several of his books in my library, and I have listened to numerous sermons he gave while pastor at First Evangelical Free Church in Fullerton, CA. He shared stories and used humor to illustrate his messages, and I have followed his example. He is an excellent communicator whose example has helped me be a better speaker.

I have an entire section of leadership books in my library by a number of different authors, but no one has taught me more about leadership that John Maxwell. His books fill an entire shelf. There is no better book on leadership than The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership which was my introduction to Maxwell. He has taught me more about leadership than anyone else I know, and this has had an enormous impact on my ministry.

Another large section of my library is naturally dedicated to ministry and books on pastoring. The person who has most impacted me in this area of my life is Gary McIntosh. I am constantly going to his book What Every Pastor Should Know for insights on different aspects of church ministry. I appreciate his practical approach to ministry and his love and commitment to the church. I had the opportunity to meet Gary at a conference in which we were both speaking. During a time when we had no obligations we spent time talking about the church. His insights were so helpful and continue to be so.

William Lane Craig has been a mentor to me in the area of apologetics and theology. As a judicatory minister for 14 years I spent a lot of time driving to my various churches. I would download podcasts on my I-Pod to listen to while on the road. One of the podcasts I followed was Craig's. I will admit that he is sometimes over my head, but that helped stretch my thinking on the topics he would address. He also helped me understand how important it is that I can defend my Christian beliefs, and how important it is as a pastor that I help those I serve be able to defend their beliefs.

The Cathedral Quartet, a Southern Gospel quartet, has inspired me to be faithful in ministry. Glen Payne and George Younce were the founding members of this group who performed from 1964-1999. I was in attendance at the National Quartet Convention when Glen Payne called from a hospital to thank the people for their support over the years. A few weeks later he passed away. That night I felt God telling me that was the kind of faithfulness to my ministry that He wanted me to have. At the convention the next year a print of these two gentlemen was offered for sale. I have a copy of it hanging in from of my desk to remind me to be faithful to the calling God has given me.

Others who have mentored me through their writings, lives and sermons would include Tim Keller, John MacArthur, Jr., Billy Graham, Thom Rainer, Ed Stetzer, Jerry Falwell, Elmer Towns and others. I may disagree with some of them on some points, but they have greatly impacted my ministry.

Upon whose shoulders do you stand? Have you thought about the persons who have mentored you in your journey? Here's one more question: Who are you mentoring?

No comments: