Thursday, December 28, 2023

Hulk Hogan and Jesus Christ

 Several months ago Kat Von D moved into a community in the next county from me. She is a tattoo artist who had her own TV show starting in 2007 and running for four years. After moving into the commumity she began attending a small Baptist church, a church in which I had preached numerous times as it's judicatory minister. A few weeks ago it was announced that she received Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior and was baptized in that church. While many Christians applauded her conversion to Christ, some were critical questioning whether this was all a publicity stunt or some other sham. Her responses to that criticism has convinced me that her acceptance of Christ was real. I welcome my sister-in-Christ into the family!

A few days ago I read that Hulk Hogan, the well-known professional wrestler, also was recently baptized. For years, I followed professional wrestling starting with Dick the Bruiser in Indianapolis and up to more modern times that included the Attitude Era. Judge me if you want! I'm sure that critics will show up questioning Hulk's baptism. I would suggest it's not for you to judge! This is between Hulk Hogan and God, and God alone is able to judge what is in Hulk Hogan's heart.

Rather than criticizing, perhaps we need to be asking if God is doing a new thing. Prior to her baptism, Kat von D destroyed her witchcraft books saying they no longer reflected who she wanted to be. Hogan and his wife were baptized together, and he says it was the greatest day of his life. 

I am accepting that both of these events are true examples of what God is doing, and I celebrate with both individuals. One of the things this tells us is that God wants to reach the up-and-out as well as the down-and-out. Both Kat Von D and Hulk Hogan were at the top of their fields. Both were very successful; both were wealthy, and yet, both realized that there was something, or someone, missing in their lives. This is something our churches need not forget. All people need Jesus Christ.


 

No comments: