Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Finding true value

 One of the most difficult things I have to do as an auctioneer is to tell someone that the things they have treasured have little actual value today. Many of the people I do auctions for are people who are older and moving into assisted living or a smaller home and cannot take everything with them. As we walk through their home, they tell me stories about the dresser they got from their grandmother. I often have to explain to them that the dresser didn't belong to anyone else's grandmother, and that antiques do not sell for much, at least in our area. The sentimental value they have for many of their items is far more than what they can expect them to bring at auction.

Similar things happen with those who buy "Collectibles" from television ads. One young man got angry with me when I told him the 200 or so "Collector Plates" his mother owned might bring a dollar apiece at auction. "Do you know how much she paid for them," he demanded? Yes, and I also have seen many of them sell in auctions. Here's a tip...if it says it's a collector's item, it probably isn't. Such items have little value in the secondary market, especially when sold at auction.

What does hold its value? What is a good investment? The Bible tells us "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Like someone said, you never see a hearse pulling a U-Haul. The story is told of two men who attended the funeral of a very wealthy individual known for his tightfisted ways. One asked the other, "I wonder how much he left behind?" The other man responded, "He left it all." Everything we acquire on earth is just stuff. It breaks, it gets dirty, it loses its value, and eventually, much of it ends up in a dumpster somewhere.

I've been on this rock for nearly 75 years, and the most valuable thing I possess is my relationship with God through Jesus Christ. When I leave this life, and leave all the stuff behind I've accumulated, I know that I have a heavenly home. It is there that I will be reunited with loved ones who have gone on before. It is there that I will enjoy a life without sickness, poverty, pain, hatred and any of the other things that are too prevalent in this life. Most of all, I will be in the presence of Christ who loved us enough to give His life on the cross for our sins.

I pray you are laying up treasures in heaven as well. A relationship with Christ is the most valuable thing you will ever possess because it is truly eternal. 

No comments: