Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Personal growth of the pastor

I once talked with a professional person who told me he had not read a book since completing his educational requirements. I decided right then I would never use him in his field of expertise because he was no longer an expert in his chosen field. Regardless of the career you have chosen, it has likely changed a great deal over  the years, and if you have not kept up with those changes you are unable to offer value to those you serve. This is also true of pastoral ministry.

Ministry is rapidly changing, and those who have not kept up with those changes are unable to lead their churches into the future. While a person may have received an excellent seminary education, some of what you learned is now outdated. I remember a master's level class I took had a question on the final exam asking the average giving in a bus-ministry church. I wanted to respond that there had not been a bus-ministry church since gas hit $1.00 a gallon, but that was not an option on the multiple choice test. I knew the right answer, but was frustrated that I needed to because the answer was moot. Ministry has changed a lot since bus-ministry churches!

Regardless of a person's career choice, it is important that they continue to be life-long learners. This is especially true for those of us involved in ministry as we are responsible for the souls of those we serve. How do we stay current and informed as life-long learners?

For some it might done by pursuing additional degrees. I was 58 when I enrolled in a DMin program. The time working on that degree was a time of growth as I learned many new things about ministry. My doctoral project was a learning time as well.

Reading is another way to continue growing. I average reading 50 books a year. For a long time I seldom read non-fiction, but I have added those books to my reading schedule. Many of the authors of those books have been mentors to me even though I've met very few of them. John Maxwell has taught me much about leadership. Eugene Petersen and others have helped me better understand ministry. A number of authors have made me a better defender of the faith through their writings on apologetics. Lately, I have been reading more about mental health issues as that is a growing problem in our society that the church has been slow to address.

Don't limit yourself to just reading material relating to ministry or theology. It is important that the minister understands the culture in which he or she serves. That's why I've been reading books on mental health, racial issues, and other issues that impact our world. If we do not understand what is bringing pain to people's lives how can we expect to minister to them?

Attending seminars and conferences is another way to pursue personal and professional growth. I've led many of these events and have attended even more. Some were better than others, but none have been a waste of time. There is almost always a nugget of information found in all of them.

If your church does not have continuing education funds in its budget for the minister, ask them to do so. It is to their advantage that their pastor is pursuing growth, and it's an investment they should be willing to make.

No comments: