Friday, August 6, 2021

Is Your Church for Ministry in the Coming Decade?

 It's hardly a secret that many people are facing new challenges and attacks today that threaten to destroy individuals and families. However, if you walk into many churches you never hear anything about these issues. It seems that many churches are willing to keep talking about the same things they've talked about for decades while ignoring the real pain many in their congregations and communities are facing. One of the reasons many have rejected the church is because they believe it is irrelevant to their lives, and much of that irrelevancy comes from the fact that we refuse to address the issues  people in the 21st century face.  This is why I've published my latest book Is Your Church Ready for Ministry in the Coming Decade?

I've written this book to help church leaders have the information and tools they need to address some of the issues people in their congregations and communities are facing. Some of these issues include racism, poverty, violence, addictions, suicide, sexual and gender confusion among others. While these may not be new to the 21st century, they remain subjects many churches seem to avoid, and they are issues that are tearing people's lives apart.

For the past year I've tried to find a publisher for this book. When I wrote my previous books it was relatively easy to find a publisher. If you had good content and a timely subject, someone would be eager to publish it. Today, it seems that without a large social media presence it's hard to find a publisher or even an agent to look at a book. I finally decided to release the book as a eBook on Kindle. Not only can I go ahead and make the book available, I can keep the cost of the book down making it more affordable. It seemed like a win for everyone!

Ministry today is much different than it was when I began my pastoral ministry 40 years ago, and I am convinced it will be even more different, and difficult, in the years to come. So many people are overwhelmed by the challenges they face, and they do not know where to turn for answers. The answers are found in God and His Word, but they will never know that if the church doesn't speak up. My prayer is that this book will help the church find its voice.

No comments: