Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Grateful pastors make healthy churches

 Few things have surprised me more than God calling me into pastoral ministry. Those who know my story know that I wasn't preparing for this work. I accepted a call to serve a church without a seminary education or ministry training. I was working in a factory when I began my bivocational ministry and continued to work there until I took early retirement. 

Even though there were often challenges to working a full-time job and serving a church and pursuing the education I knew God wanted me to have, I always was grateful for the opportunity to serve the church. I remained there for 20 years before accepting a call to denominational ministry. Many Sundays as I drove to the church property I would thank God for the privilege of serving that small, rural congregation. It was my parish, and I was grateful for the opportunity He had given me.

As a denominational minister I occasionally met pastors who did not share my feelings of gratitude. They often complained about the people who attended the churches they served. Some seemed bitter at being in ministry and felt trapped not knowing what else they could do. Not surprising, their churches didn't seem to be very healthy. Not much occurred in most of these churches. I felt they were as unhappy their pastor was there as he was in being there.

Congregations can easily tell how the pastors feels about them. Perhaps the most important question they will have for the pastor is "Do you love us?" Often unasked, the question exists just the same. The reason it is unasked is because it doesn't need to be. They already know the answer, and that answer will determine much of the health and functioning of the church.

There is no higher calling anyone could have than to be called to serve as a pastor of a church. Every day the pastor has the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others. Every day he or she is given the privilege of sharing God's love with people. We are invited to participate in some of the most important times in people's lives, both good times and bad, and walk with them through those experiences. This is an incredible privilege that should make each of us called to this work grateful for the trust God has demonstrated in us.

Certainly, there are times when pastoral ministry is difficult. I went through those times as will everyone called to this work. It can be discouraging at times, but when one looks at the total experience of pastoral ministry nothing can compare or be more fulfilling.

I hope you feel this way about your ministry, and I pray you let your congregation know how much you love and appreciate them.

No comments: