Monday, July 8, 2019

Help for bivocational ministers

When I wrote my first book in 2000 for bivocational ministers I did so because there were very few resources out there for us. I knew of only three books at that time, although there may have been some of which I was not aware, written specifically for bivocational ministers. That book was praised by a lot of people who read it, but it didn't have too many who read it. Some of the later books I wrote sold more copies while others sold even less than the first one. Today I am excited to see a number of books being released that directly speak to the challenges and opportunities of bivocational ministry. I hope those books find a bigger audience.

For several years I published a monthly email newsletter for bivocational ministers. Although I had a fairly large mailing list, tracking showed very few actually read it. Eventually, I decided it wasn't worth the work that went into it and canceled the newsletter. The same thing happened with a web site I had for bivocational ministers. It also had few readers and even fewer responses, and I canceled the web page.

This blog has seen about the same results. A standard article posted on the blog will average about 40 reads. The exception is if I post something controversial or especially hard-hitting. Those articles might have 200+ views. Obviously, those articles get shared with friends and colleagues.

I have to admit to being puzzled. When I was serving as a bivocational pastor I would have given anything to have someone come alongside me who had been there to support me and give me helpful information. I have to assume that either what I think would be helpful to other people isn't that helpful or something else is going on. If there is something I am missing, please let me know.

Bivocational ministry is difficult work, and it becomes more challenging if we do not help one another. None of us knows everything there is to know, but together we know so much more. As we share the resources and the things we have learned along the way we help one another, the churches we serve and the Kingdom of God. Don't be afraid to share these articles with others. I know some of you do, but many read the article, shake their head in agreement (I hope) and go on their way. Pass it on to someone who might benefit from reading themselves.

For years I have encouraged denominational leaders to host training events. While some have done so others have told me they've tried to do so in the past and were disappointed by the turnout. One regional leader told me after hosting his first event he was glad I warned him to not be disappointed if only a handful showed up because that was what happened. Their region did host others after that, including one at which I spoke, and the attendance improved a little.

A few years ago one state convention invited me to do five workshops in five days in five different locations throughout their state. They wanted to make it as easy as possible for the most people to show up. They have hundreds of bivocational ministers in their state. At no event were there more than two dozen people, and at one event not one person showed up. Even the host pastor didn't show up to unlock the doors. A lot of money was spent with little return, and I'm sure the planners had to be very disappointed.

When I began in 1981 there was virtually no resources and certainly no workshops or training events specifically designed for bivocational leaders. That is not the case today, but not nearly enough of us are taking advantage of those opportunities and resources. The help is out there, but we have to make the effort to receive it.

No comments: