Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Find ways to learn new things

In yesterday's post I commented on how we need to stretch ourselves intellectually if we want to grow. The emphasis was on stretching ourselves to deepen our understanding of biblical truth. I mentioned that I was about to start reading a book that I knew would be difficult reading but that I also knew would help me better understand and be able to defend my faith.

However, we must not stop with just stretching ourselves theologically, especially if we are Christian leaders with responsibility to teach others. We need to learn more about what is happening in people's lives, learn about the things that are important to them, and learn what they know. This is critical because we are not called just to exegete Scripture; we must also be able to exegete our culture if we are going to be able to speak to it.

Since getting my auctioneer's license I have had an incredible opportunity to see inside other people's lives. I am currently preparing for an auction in May that will feature a lifetime collection of railroad memorabilia that was collected by a gentleman before his death. As I go through the thousands of items he amassed I am learning new things and seeing things I've never seen before. I have many more hours of work ahead of me, and I'm sure I'll learn much more about the railroad industry before I'm finished.

Similar things have happened in other auctions. Last year I sold an estate belonging to a clock and watch repairman. I learned much about that business as I handled the thousands of items involved in that sale.

In other auctions it's not that I learn a lot about a business or a hobby as much as I learn about people. Often, when people call an auctioneer it is during a difficult time in their lives. Perhaps they have lost a loved one. Maybe they are at the stage in their lives when they need to downsize and move into assisted living. In some cases, they need to sell because they need the money. I've heard many stories as I've met with these people. Often times I've asked if I could pray for them, and I've never been refused the privilege of doing so.

We live in a big world. We will never influence that world for the Kingdom of God if we remain in our holy huddles. We need to be continuously learning as much about our world and the people who live in it as we can. As a bivocational pastor I spent my entire pastoral ministry with one foot in the church and one in the world. I believe it gave me great insights into the lives of the people I served, and it allowed me the opportunity to learn new things.

Stretch yourself. Get out of your comfort zone. Learn things seminary will never teach you, and I believe you'll find ministry to be much more productive and enjoyable.

No comments: