Thursday, August 30, 2018

Too busy to retire

When I finished my recent time as a Transitional Pastor several people asked if I was going to retire again. I retired from Cummins Engine Company in 1996 and retired as a Resource Minister with the American Baptist Churches of Indiana and Kentucky in 2015. As my wife says, I don't do retirement well! So, when I was asked if I was going to retire again I told everyone I was afraid to. Every time I retire I get busier than I was before!

Retirement is a word I try to avoid using. I still have my auction business going. In fact, I have two auctions scheduled for September. I'm always open to filling the pulpit for a pastor who's going to be away, and I would consider serving a church as a Transitional Pastor again. God called me to preach in 1980 so I'm going to preach as long as He gives me life and the opportunity to do so. I backed off leading workshops and conferences while serving as a Transitional Pastor, and I'm now available to do that again. Plus, I've been working on two more books and plan to finish them this winter.

Today I celebrate my 70th birthday. My health is generally good. I feel good although I have a few pains now and then I didn't used to have. As I am writing this post George Jones just came on Pandora singing "I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair." That's exactly the way I feel! Life is good, and I plan to enjoy it as long as I can. God has been better to me than I've been to myself, and I intend to serve Him until He calls me home. That pretty well eliminates any talk of retirement.

What should a minister (or anyone) do if they don't plan to retire? Here are some things I plan on doing. Maybe they'll help you.

  • Set goals for the future. I already mentioned one of my goals which is to finish the two books I've been writing. Work on those goals regularly until you complete them, and then set new ones.
  • Stay busy doing things you enjoy doing. If you are retirement age you have earned the right to do things you enjoy. Do things that add value to other people and things that are fun for you and your family.
  • Watch your health. Recent blood tests showed a couple of things that were slightly over the top limit so we are working on them to get them back in the acceptable range. A little more exercise and cutting out some foods should make that happen.
  • Know your limits. I was recently faced with a choice between two opportunities. Although one was more appealing to me personally, I felt it would be unfair to the organization. They needed someone younger who could commit more years to them than I might be able to give.
  • Not retiring doesn't mean you have to work every day. Take time to do things with your family and friends. Create memories that will outlive you.
  • Continue to grow. Read. Learn new skills. Add to your information base. Keep your mind sharp. I once knew a retired pastor in his 90s who took a class to learn a foreign language. I've recently acquired a number of books on antiques, and I'm learning more about them to help me in my auction business.
  • Find a young person to mentor. You have a lot to offer younger ministers and other leaders. Make yourself and your wisdom available to them. One such minister recently asked if he could call me with questions. He said he night not always do what I said, but he would be interested in knowing what I thought about some things. That is as it should be, and I told him to call me anytime.
  • Stay close to God. 

No comments: