Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Celebrating the ministry

This past weekend was quite an experience. I had an estate auction for an individual who had been a clock and watch repairman for many years in our community. He was also quite a collector of antiques and many interesting pieces. I knew it would be a big auction but didn't realize how big until I began setting it up. I worked all week to get the set up ready for Saturday.

Saturday was one of the hottest days of the year with a heat index of over 100 degrees. That didn't keep people away, and they started early looking over all we had to offer. People came from Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, all over Indiana, and even one came from New York.

Although the sale was a large one, we finished it in four hours selling an average of 85 pieces an hour. I thank my crew for much of that as they worked very hard in the heat and humidity to make this a successful sale. The buyers were also ready to buy, and that always makes for a quicker sale.

The only negative was after the sale I lost my voice. I had been fighting allergies and a cough all week, and the auction caught up to me. What made it worse was that I had to preach two services the next morning! I squeaked through both services, but I made it.

However, my lack of a voice did not detract from the worship services. Our worship leaders did a great job in both services, we had Communion, and in the second service we celebrated a baptism. What made the baptism more special was that the young lady being baptized had requested her grandfather baptize her. I entered the water with them, made a few comments, and then he baptized his granddaughter. It made for a beautiful moment!

Some ministers spend a lot of time complaining about the ministry. What could be more rewarding than to be a part of worship services like that?

I will be 70 next month, and people often ask why I still do all the things I do. It's because I enjoy them. I had the opportunity to minister to a family that needs to dispose of their parent's estate. I got to preach God's Word to His people and join them in both Communion and a baptism. And, I got to do all this with people I love and enjoy being with. Why would I want to do anything else?

If God has called you into the ministry, don't complain about it. Celebrate it! He has trusted you to lead a group of His people. Yes, some aspects of ministry can be frustrating, but if the overall experience of being in ministry doesn't excite you then something is wrong. You've either missed your call or you've allowed the enemy to rob you of the joy of serving the Lord. I love being with God's people and ministering to them. I pray you feel the same way.

No comments: