Thursday, November 7, 2013

Because it's ministry we shouldn't be paid?

Yesterday I posted an article on why people think it is OK to ask creative people to work for free.  If you didn't see the article you can read it here.  We need to ask why the same thing is often true for those of us in ministry.  I lead workshops and conferences on small church and bivocational ministry.  I cannot tell you the number of times I've had requests to lead a conference and was told that the organizers didn't have much money and would only be able to provide a small honorarium plus expenses or ask me to do the event for free.  One organizer put a cap on the expenses he would cover about three weeks before the event was scheduled which meant I either had to accept that limit or cancel the week long series of seminars.  Guess who would have been blamed for the cancellation?  That limit did not cover my expenses so I had to cover them myself from the already reduced fee I had previously agreed to.  I was away from home for a week, lead three six-hour long workshops during that week, and got to pay for the privilege out of my own pocket.   But, after all, it's ministry so it's OK...right?

I have friends in the Southern Gospel Music industry.  Most performers in that industry work jobs throughout the week and travel on the weekends to various churches and events to sing.  These include not only local groups but also some who are well-known nationally.  They have to work in order to provide for their families because their music ministry won't pay the bills.  I've been told of churches that agreed to receive a love gift for the group, and when the pastor saw how much had been given decided it was too much.  He kept some of it for the church and gave the group what he thought was fair.  Some have told me after spending a weekend on the road away from their families they didn't receive enough to even pay for their fuel.  Yesterday, I saw an advertisement for a upcoming event for a country music performer.  Tickets were $69.00 and $87.00 each.  I've heard people complain when organizers raised their ticket prices to $15.00 to hear 12-15 different Southern Gospel Music groups perform on the same night.  But, after all, they are doing ministry so they shouldn't expect to be paid much...right?

I know very few ministers who receive a decent salary and benefit package.  If the average income of their congregation was determined, in many cases, the pastor's compensation would be well below that average.  And, if church income drops what does the finance committee begin looking at?  Since in smaller churches, especially, the pastors salary and benefit package is often the largest single expenditure on the church budget, that is where many of them look to make cuts.  Little thought is given to urging the congregation to increase its giving; it's easier to make cuts, and since the pastor is doing ministry it's OK...right?  GOD will take care of the pastor and his or her family...right?

If you haven't guessed, none of these are right.  Scripture clearly teaches that churches have an obligation to provide financially for those who minister to them.  If music and seminar organizers don't have the funds to pay for their singers and speakers, then don't host the event.  If churches cannot provide responsibly for those who provide leadership, then use lay leaders or close your doors.  It's time that churches, denominational bodies, and others stop thinking it is OK to use the gifts and talents of people for free just because what they are doing is ministry.

My main concern here is for pastors.  The fees I charge are very small, especially when compared to most secular speakers, and for some groups I discount that even more, but I have the flexibility to decide whether or not I'm going to speak to some group.  Most pastors do not have that flexibility.  Their financial futures are sometimes at the whim of a small controlling group in the church who still believe that it is not necessary to provide fair compensation for ministry.  That is a mindset that needs to end now.

No comments: