Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

The meal is over and so are the football games. Our kids and grandchildren have been here and celebrated this day with us. Everyone is exhausted and gone to bed early except for me. I'm still thinking about all the things I have to be thankful for this year.

This has been a very difficult year for a number of reasons. Emotionally, financially, and spiritually it has been about as difficult year as I've had, but God was faithful to bring me through it. There are some scars, but I feel that God has given me a great victory over the enemy's attempt to destroy me and my family.

I continue to be amazed and thankful that God called me into the ministry nearly 30 years ago. I sometimes wonder why He did so since I have failed Him many times, but He keeps reminding me that He is omniscient and knew all my failures long before they occurred, and He still chose to call me to serve Him first as a pastor and now as a judicatory leader. My ministry has given me opportunities I could never have imagined, and I am thankful to God that He has given me these opportunities.

It is easy to simply eat too much turkey and watch too much football and never really think much about how your life has been blessed. I'm afraid that many of us seldom take even a few minutes to think about the things for which we are thankful. If that describes you, please take a few minutes this week to think about those things, and offer to God a prayer of thanksgiving for the many ways He has enriched your life.

No comments: